CYLP is a ministry of, by and for the youth of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church. This program unifies two former programs: the Conference Council on Youth Ministry (CCYM) and the Conference Camp Youth Leadership Program (CCYLP). With a rich history of youth leadership and camping ministries, our conference found it natural to merge these two similar programs into one.
The Conference Youth Leadership Program (CYLP) aims to create a space for spiritual growth and the development of youth leadership at the conference level. This body will serve to cultivate principled Christian leaders. CYLP offers youth the chance to strategize conference events, contribute to conference leadership and represent their generation's voice within the larger church.
Adult leaders will walk alongside these youth on their spiritual journey and provide additional positive leadership models for them. CYLP is committed to wholeheartedly embracing, supporting and nurturing the youth of the North Texas Conference.
- Compassion: Actively listen to issues and concerns of youth.
- Advocacy: Affirm and witness to the gifts and graces of youth.
- Partnership: Emphasize youth and adult unity in ministry.
- Outreach: Inspire youth to commit to meaningful service.
- Leadership: Serve as followers of Jesus Christ.
CYLP members must serve at least one summer or non-summer conference leadership opportunity to remain in the program.
- MidWinter Planning and Leadership: MidWinter is a camp organized and led by youth from our conference. The planning process kicks off in September during our Fall Meeting, where decisions are made on themes, schedules, speakers, music and even t-shirt colors. Our next meeting is Sept. 9. Following this, we hold a Winter Planning Meeting at Bridgeport, focusing on refining the curriculum and making final preparations. Once the planning is complete, youth can sign up to lead one of the two MidWinter weekends. During these weekends, they have the opportunity to lead games, activities, prayers and share personal testimonies.
- Camp Leadership as Junior Counselors or Youth Counselors: Leadership roles are available at all of our Conference Camps, both summer and non-summer. Participation as Junior Counselors and/or Youth Counselors is grade-dependent, but we welcome youth from 7th through 12th grade. These roles provide chances for youth to lead small groups, coordinate games, activities, prayers and more.
- District Leadership: Within the North Texas Conference, we have four Districts. Each District has a Youth Lay Leader who might also be a CYLP member. They play a crucial role in connecting the District to Conference events and representing youth on the Conference Board of Laity. The District Youth Lay Leader is also given priority to attend Annual Conference as a voting member. If you're interested in District Youth Ministry, please email Joseph Bradley.
- Division on Ministry with Young People: The Division on Ministries with Young People serves as a representative body of the Global UMC. Collaborating with Young People’s Ministries staff of Discipleship Ministries, their mission is to foster connections between youth and young adults with God, the church and the world. In the South Central Jurisdiction, one youth (12-18 years old) will be selected, along with recommendations for a young adult (18-30 years old) and an adult youth worker, to be presented to the Jurisdictional Nominations Committee.
- Winter Retreat (a Friday-Saturday in early January) at Bridgeport Camp
- Spring Retreat (a Friday-Saturday in late April) hosted by a local church
- Fall Meeting (a Saturday in September) at the Ministry Center in Plano
Youth Service Fund
The North Texas Conference Council on Youth Ministries is interested in supporting Christian ministries through Youth Service Fund. Each year CYLP selects an In-Conference Project and an Out-of-Conference Project.
Consideration will be given to those organizations/agencies that assist in meeting the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of youth or that empower youth to be in ministry with others. If you wish to recommend an organization/agency to be considered for support, please email Joseph Bradley for more information.
Become a Representative
If you would like to apply to be a member of CYLP, complete the Youth Representative Application. Applications are received on a rolling basis. There may be limitations on leadership opportunities based on when applications are submitted. Once your application is submitted email Joseph Bradley to let him know.
If you are an adult interested in being on CYLP, email Joseph Bradley. He will contact you to discuss available opportunities.