Ways To Help
Refugee Services of Texas is expecting to resettle at least 324 Afghans very soon through the SIV (Special Immigrant Visa) Program.
- Watch a video update with our Church & Society Team who sat down with Kaitlin Roberson, Development Associate for RST Dallas and Ft. Worth. Others who are still being evacuated and processed may follow them to North Texas.
- An Amazon Wishlist has been set up to help you easily provide gift cards for the expected families. Monetary donations can also be made at rstx.org
- For the latest updates, check out the RSTX's Facebook page.
More and more Afghan allies are being cleared and arriving in communities such as Dallas-Fort Worth to start their new lives in the United States. Our friends at UNITE have shared the following ways in which you can be of service:
- Several national organizations have put together Operation Allies Welcome to describe the current effort.
- Look for opportunities to volunteer.
- The government is encouraging the community to "sponsor" families.
- There may be a need for temporary housing for families since housing is in short supply. For more information, complete this Refugee Services of Texas volunteer application to begin the conversation.
The Sponsor Circles is a community-led resettlement initiative that allows Americans to take on the responsibility of welcoming an Afghan newcomer to their communities. Your support will include:
- Fundraising at least $2,275 per individual welcomed
- Helping to secure housing
- Providing basic necessities (furniture, clothing, food, etc.)
- Assisting in completing relevant paperwork to access documentation and public benefits for which the newcomers may be eligible
- Connecting to relevant services, including health care, education and legal assistance
- Supporting English-language acquisition
- Helping to secure employment
- Providing community orientation, friendship and moral support