223 – Worship and the Sacraments
|Fall 2017||Rev. Brian McPherson||Email:|
This course examines the sacraments, worship rites, and liturgy of The United Methodist Church and the pastor’s role in both planning worship and serving as a worship leader.
- Examination of the church year and its historical and theological grounding.
- Examination of the theology and practice of the sacraments.
- Review the rites of Christian marriage, death, and resurrection, other occasional services as well as regular calendar planning of weekly worship.
- Reflection on worship practices, including use of nontraditional liturgies, modern and traditional media, music, and regular lay leadership.
- Development, for reflection and evaluation, of several sample services of worship.
- Development of resources for planning worship including online and web-based United Methodist sources.
(Digital forms are acceptable)
- Wallace, Robin Knowles., The Christian Year: A Guide for Worship and Preaching. Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2011
- Hickman, Hoyt L., Worshiping with United Methodists, Revised Edition, Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2007
- Stookey, Laurence Hull., Let the Whole Church Say Amen!, Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2001
- The United Methodist Book of Worship, The United Methodist Publishing House, 1992
- The United Methodist Hymnal, The United Methodist Publishing House, 1989
- By Water and the Spirit, The General Board of Discipleship, 2008 (PDF)
- This Holy Mystery, The General Board of Discipleship, 2004 (PDF)
Note: Required texts are available on Cokesbury.com or Amazon.com. The General Board of Discipleship studies are pdf files downloadable from the sites listed. They are free.
List of Recommended or Optional Texts:
- White, James F., Introduction to Christian Worship, 3rd edition, Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2000;
- Dawn, Marva J., A Royal “Waste” of Time, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1999
- Duck, Ruth C., Bread For the Journey, United Church Press, Cleveland OH., 1982
- Bone and Scifres, The United Methodist Music and worship Planner 2017-18, Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2014