324 – Preaching
|Winter 2020 postponed until Winter 2021||
Dr. Justin Tull
Students will be able to:
- Articulate a theology of proclamation.
- Exegete a variety of biblical passages for preaching.
- Evaluate sermons for biblical integrity, theological soundness, internal logic, delivery, and appropriate insights gained from the evaluation of their own sermons.
- Develop plans for ordering and delivering sermons in their congregational and communal context.
- Craddock on the Craft of Preaching, Lee and Kathryn Sparks, ed.
- Vital Preaching: the Art of Sharing God’s Word, Justin W. Tull
Supplemental Resources (Not required)
- Preaching without Notes, Joseph Webb
- The United Methodist Music and Worship Planner (2016-17)
Final Grade will be based on the following components:
|Main Assignments||Percent of Grade|
|Sermon and Exegesis||40%|
|Sermon Outline (in addition to one preached)||10%|
|Sermon Ideas from Lectionary Readings||10%|
|Keys to Effective Preaching||20%|
Read texts in advance of class.
Limited to the first 12 students to register.