121 – Bible I: Introduction
|Spring 2020||Rev. Milton Guttierrez||Email:
This course introduces biblical interpretation. Attention is given to the inspiration, formation, and function of the canon and to the development of a methodology of interpretation consistent with the nature of scripture. The importance of the Bible as a witness to the life and faith of ancient Israel and earliest Christianity will be emphasized.
Students will be able to:
- Articulate the place of scripture in the life of the congregation and the role of the pastor in interpretation.
- Understand the inspiration and formation of the canon and its authority within the
- community of faith.
- Understand and apply historical, literary, and theological approaches to various types of
- literature in scripture using Genesis, Hosea and Amos, Mark, and Philippians.
- Develop a method of exegesis consistent with the nature and authority of the Bible.