Want to expand your knowledge about the United Methodist Church? Are you in a leadership position in your church? Want to network with like minded individuals? Need resources for Christian Education? Desire to grow spiritually?
Opportunities abound within the United Methodist Church, its agencies and affiliates:
Disciple Course of Study
The Disciple Bible Study program is designed to develop strong local churches through the in-depth study of Scripture. Through Disciple, persons are strengthened in their faith and guided into service and ministry. Strong, biblically nourished leadership will help your church grow in vitality and Christian discipleship.
- Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study: A 34-week study that moves through the biblical story from Creation to the New Jerusalem. There is a Youth version of this study, which is written on a more appropriate level for high school youth.
- Into the Word Into the World: A 32-week study of Genesis-Exodus and Luke-Acts. This study emphasizes the rhythm of coming to God and going for God, of being in the Word and in the world individually and corporately.
- Remember Who You Are: A 32-week study of The Prophets and The Letters of Paul. It calls clergy and laity to disciplined Bible study that will result in a ministering community nourished by Scripture.
- Under the Tree of Life: A 32-week study of Old Testament Writings and the Gospel of John; 1,2,3 John; James; Jude and Revelation in the New Testament. It continues to call clergy and laity to serious, disciplined Bible study.
For more information about this series, visit the Cokesbury Disciple website.
Laity Studies at SMU-Perkins
At Perkins School of Theology, the gifts and fruits of theological study and teaching are available not only to those enrolled in its regular courses, but also to others throughout the church and wider community.
For more information about laity studies, visit the Perkins School of Theology website.
Professional Association of UMC Adminstrators
For more information, visit the PAUMCS website.
- Lay Servant Ministries: Lay Servants are lay members of the United Methodist Church who are called to give primary attention to service within the local church. They may hear their call in the Lay Servant Ministries Basic Course and explore it through the advanced course Spiritual Gifts.
- Walk to Emmaus: The walk to Emmaus is an experience of Christian spiritual renewal and formation that begins with a three-day short course in Christianity. It is an opportunity to meet Jesus Christ in a new way as God’s grace and love is revealed to you through other believers.
- Journey to the Table: Journey to the Table is a spiritual formation experience for young adults offered by The Upper Room in partnership with Journey Together. It allows participants to explore faith through authentic teaching and fosters open discussion through which participants can build relationships with a community of peers.
- Face to Face: An adaptation of The Walk to Emmaus, Face to Face is specifically crafted to meet the needs and life-stages of older adults. The program seeks to invite men and women, ages 60 and older, to experience Jesus through an 8-session journey, covering subjects such as discipleship, mission, grief, and end-of-life issues.