Wylie UMC: Director of Youth Ministry
Date Posted: 11/20/2018
Wylie UMC, Wylie, TX
A passionate disciple of Jesus Christ, with great integrity, who loves youth and is committed and gifted for attracting and developing young Christian disciples. Provide spiritual guidance and act as a positive role model and serve as the Youth Advocate. Coordinate and supervise Christian activities for youth grades 7-12 as well as college-aged young adults (18-25) including social events, Bible studies, mission experiences, special worship services and Sunday school.
- Plan and direct youth in the implementation of events including Sunday evening worship, mission experiences, youth-led worship services, retreats, youth conferences and recreational/social gatherings.
- Coordinate appropriate activities to help keep college-age student’s active in their walk with Christ.
- Plan and lead retreats as necessary during the year.
- Plan, coordinate and lead Jr. High and Sr. High Summer Mission Experiences.
- Develop and implement a plan for spiritual growth of youth including age and interest related Bible studies and Sunday school. Help youth to develop a personal connection with scripture as the foundation for their beliefs and practice.
- Provide consistent worship time on Sunday and Wednesday evenings.
- Assist in worship and prepare youth to both participate in and contribute to worship.
- Work with Director of Youth Band to provide spiritual leadership and help with Youth Praise Band activities.
- Work with Youth Activities Council to honor graduating seniors.
- Plan and coordinate youth fund-raising events.
- Be involved in the daily life of the youth outside of church activities including, but not limited to, attendance local school activities.
- Participate in confirmation classes to facilitate smooth transition from confirmands to youth group.
- Create and maintain a welcoming atmosphere for visitors, members, and staff.
- Recruit, train, guide and support the adult volunteers to the youth. Schedule teachers for Youth Sunday School classes and ensure that all classes have curriculum and supplies.
- Train and supervise youth for leadership roles within the youth group and the church.
- Develop long-term plan for evangelism and outreach for the youth beyond the church family.
- Maintain accurate and consistent attendance records and create reports as to the youth group’s progress.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Cooperate and support other staff members and ministers to insure harmonious functioning of the church ministries.
- Provide assistance to senior pastor and the office staff when necessary.
- Prepare and manage youth cost of ministry with the assistance of the Finance Committee and Financial Administrator.
- Create and publish a youth activities calendar.
- Oversee the design, production and distribution of Youth publications.
- Provide articles for newsletter and Sunday bulletin for upcoming Youth activities.
- Maintain and file accurate and detailed records, correspondence and reports.
- Ensure that all volunteers or staff members working with the Youth have current background checks.
- Enforce Wylie UMC Safe Sanctuaries Policy.
- Maintain and update medical releases and parent consent forms for all youth participating in the program.
- All other duties requested by the Sr. Pastor.
How to Apply
Submit resume to Staff Parish Relations Chairperson Jacob Cortez at