University Park UMC: Minister of Children and Families
Date Posted: 1/29/2021
University Park UMC, Dallas, TX
This full-time position provides leadership and vision in the church’s commitment to establish children and families in their faith and confirm and strengthen them through presence, pastoral care, education, mission, fellowship and worship as learning and growing disciples. This staff person works to help accomplish UPUMC’s mission to strive for and offer others a new way of living and growing in Jesus Christ. This happens when all will know and be known, feed and be fed, challenge and be challenged, and love and be loved.
The Minister of Children and Families oversees all ministries related to children, aged newborn through fifth grade, with the goal of leading the church to glorify God through worship, covenant relationship and service to others. He/she provides and directs a comprehensive children’s program that assists parents in guiding their children to know, love and follow Jesus Christ.
The Minister of Children and Families reports to the Minister of Families and Youth and serves alongside the Executive Director of the Weekday School. He/she also directs paid and volunteer children’s ministry staff.
- Providing pastoral care and serving as a mentor, leader, and spiritual director for kids from infancy through grade 5 and their parents/guardians.
- Serving as a chaplain for the Weekday School staff, children and their families.
- Partnering with parents, especially by building systems to continually resource families.
- Finding ways to be present to kids and their families outside of children’s ministry programming.
- Building, equipping, and training volunteers to be in ministry with children and their families and support the ongoing development of volunteer children's ministry workers. (We hope for camaraderie to exist among the children’s ministry team.)
- Assisting in worship services by leading children’s time and different liturgical elements.
- Helping the church staff to continually grow to acknowledge and engage children in worship services.
- Being a cheerleader for the children’s ministry, which includes:
- coming to staff meetings with stories about what is happening in ministry
- weekly updating your supervisor of successes and challenges in the ministry
- communicating regularly with the whole church, and Church Council as necessary, about the children’s ministry story and needs.
- Promoting, scheduling, and calendaring children’s education ministries
- Administrating and participating in children’s education ministries (i.e. Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, all WDS chapel services, etc.) and special ministries including but not limited to VBS, Lenten Prayer stations, Advent and Holy Week box drop offs with devotions and activities, and other special events
- Developing curriculum and evaluating effectiveness of said curriculum, children’s ministries and programs
- Establishing structures to help receive ongoing feedback from families.
- Attending WDS board meetings (mandatory) and church council meetings (optional)
- Supervising the children’s ministry budget
- Performing specific duties infrequently requested by the WDS Director and the Minister of Youth and Families
- Must be a growing Christian deepening his/her relationship with Jesus and modeling this to others
- A desire to see all children come to know, love and follow Jesus Christ
- A desire to equip and encourage families as the primary spiritual leaders of their children within the UPUMC congregation and WDS
- Aspirations to grow and enhance our present and future church community
- Lives into these staff core values: initiative, accountability, joy, and care.
- A passion to create and foster an overwhelming culture of belonging for all
- A willingness to engage in the community in which UPUMC exists. Supports UPUMC and the WDS by prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness apart from job tasks
- Ability to support and offer pastoral care to kids and adults
- Self-starting visionary and strategic thinker with regards to ministry needs
- Teachable team player with strong demonstrated oral and written communication skills, creativity, and self starter abilities
- Proven ability to delegate and equip congregation for ministry
- Ability to simultaneously work on multiple projects with multiple people
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood education, child development or related field, enrollment or completion of certification in children’s ministry through the UMC, and a graduate degree in theology preferred
How to Apply
Email a resume, cover letter, statement of your philosophy of ministry and your call to ministry to
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 469-831-4060