University of Oklahoma Wesley Student Center: Associate Director of Communications and Hospitality
Date Posted: 10/26/2022
University of Oklahoma Wesley Student Center, Norman, OK
The Associate Director of Communications and Hospitality should feel called by God to ministry and specifically to the ministry of the OU Wesley. The AD of Communications and Hospitality should have an undergraduate degree, an outgoing personality, a passion for today’s college students and be of the United Methodist faith (strongly desired, but not required). This position requires a commitment to making disciples of Jesus as well as a commitment to a growing relationship with Jesus. Experience in and knowledge of communication systems, both digital and print is required. Experience with campus ministry is a strong plus. The AD of Communications and Hospitality will report to the Executive Director.
- Objective 1: Overseeing all communications for The Wesley including marketing and internal communications, making sure that they are effective and in keeping with our brand.
- Set the direction and vision for the communications of The Wesley in consultation with the ED.
- Utilize a variety of communication tools for students and supporters to help communicate the Gospel and the work of carrying out ministry through The Wesley.
- Manage and grow digital communication platforms: social media, Website, Monthly enewsletters (MailChimp), YouTube, Breeze (Church Database), on campus digital advertising, and others as deemed necessary.
- Lead efforts to design all art and promotional materials related to ministry-wide activities.
- Oversee print communication including annual report, giving cultivation resources, and design and implement the Ministry’s thank you processes.
- Provide support for worship enhancements, such as graphics, video clips, sound reinforcement, video recording and streaming.
- Develop volunteer teams as deemed necessary to accomplish communication goals.
- Objective 2: Utilize physical resources (building, etc.) to create hospitable environment to welcome students and guests and build community.
- Create welcoming environments and volunteer engagement opportunities for The Wesley students, leading them toward a sense of belonging, involvement, and spiritual growth.
- Develop a hospitality strategy. Provide leadership, direction, and development for volunteer leadership team members (including food services, check-in station, and student leaders in welcoming roles). Train staff and volunteers creating a culture of hospitality.
- Create and maintain systems that help with the care of the building and the feeling of hospitality.
- Supervise our custodial staff / cleaning services, making sure that the building and grounds are clean, safe and in compliance with fire and health codes.
- Regularly survey the interior and exterior of the building to look for any necessary repairs.
- Supervise/manage in consultation with the ED and Administrative Assistant to make recommendations regarding outside contractors in the areas of:
- Lawn maintenance
- Interior cleaning
- HVAC contractor
- Any other contractor, i.e., electrical or plumbing, as needed.
- Organize all maintenance records for the building. Sustain a log of appropriate equipment in coordination with the Administrative Assistant.
- Objective: Develop relationships with students that cultivate welcome into the life of The Wesley and a relationship with Jesus Christ
- Supervise student interns as needed and assigned, including regular discipleship meetings.
- Meet with leadership team and individual students for regular check-ins and one-on-one discipleship.
- Assist with worship, small groups, service opportunities and other invest opportunities as decided in consultation with ED and other staff.
Administration. Miscellaneous (20%)
- Objective: Assist with other necessary aspects of the ministry as needed.
- Oversee student and football parking with the Administrative Assistant.
- Work directly with the ED and staff on the planning and execution of all fundraising events and activities: including but not limited to the Wesley Golf Tournament and Bedlam Challenge
- Speak to church small groups and Sunday school classes as needed, an average of 6-8 times a year.
- Attend and participate in all weekly worship services and other Wesley events throughout the year.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, monthly leadership meetings, and quarterly board meetings.
- Assist staff with special events as needed.
- Other duties as needed.
A typical workweek is 35 hours. There will be weeks throughout the year that will require more time (football game weeks, retreat weeks, mission trips, etc.). Most of the AD of Communication and Hospitality hours will be Monday through Friday, but some Saturdays and Sundays should be expected. Two weeks of vacation will be given over Christmas and two additional weeks of vacation in the summer as agreed upon with the ED.
An iPhone with a data plan will be provided free of charge (If employee leaves, the iPhone will remain in ownership of the Wesley). A gym reimbursement of up to $40 per month is available should the employee choose to use it. The AD of Communications and Hospitality will also have a $500 a year discretionary account for ministry items needed that are not covered under budget upon approval from the ED.
Suggested Weekly Schedule During the School Year:
- Monday 9-4 (7 hours)
- Tuesday 9-3 & 6-10 (10 hours)
- Wednesday 9-4 (7 hours)
- Thursday 9-4 (7 hours)
- Friday-Sunday (4 hours)
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to Rev. Elizabeth Horton-Ware at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 405-321-6266