United Methodist Women: Spiritual Growth and Formation Specialist
Date Posted: 8/26/2019
United Methodist Women, New York, NY
The Spiritual Growth and Formation Specialist is responsible for guiding people to a deeper appreciation, understanding use of and devotion to the Word of God in their everyday lives. The Spiritual Growth and Formation Specialist will ensure that all opportunities for spiritual growth and formation is Biblically-focused, operates in a clear, compelling manner in keeping with the mission, vision and values of United Methodist Women and the United Methodist Church.
This work connects to the purpose of UMW (become whole persons through Jesus Christ, supportive creative fellowship) and to the vision of how we are shaping our future, as an organization, turning faith, hope and love into action, on behalf of women, children and youth around the world.
- Build on our current practices and opportunities to involve each of us as members of United Methodist Women in spiritual practices that connect our faith to our lived experience and to the lived experience of others in our communities and around the world, particularly those on the margins.
- Collaborate with colleagues and Editorial Board to develop studies for Mission u, curricula, plenaries and distance learning components for our transformative education program.
- Participate in shaping and connecting events offered by UMW’s national office (Mission u, LDD, Assembly, and others) with our spiritual/theological foundation and opportunities for members to develop spiritually and let their faith impel them to service and advocacy for justice.
- Lead projects that explore lay women’s spirituality and intersections to inform our programmatic emphasis on spiritual growth and shape our resources and practices in the “refreshed UMW”.
- Research, design, develop and/or make available resources appropriate to the needs and preferences of people in every stage of their faith journey.
- Write and deliver curriculum consistent with the pedagogical approach of Transformative Education which integrates various learning styles, methodologies and participatory practices for a variety of settings.
- Recruit, equip and supervise a variety of ministry partners and teams responsible for implementing the Bible engagement component of the Spiritual Growth ministry.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with Position, Engage and Mobilize staff to ensure good communication, unity of purpose and coherent messaging that faith and justice go together.
- Serve as staff liaison for conference UMW Spiritual Growth Coordinators. This entails ongoing support and coordinating development of resources for retreats, Day Apart, prayer breakfasts and other such settings, and cultivating these leaders in their own faith and skills as spiritual leaders.
- Work with experts in theology, bible and missiology to bring their thinking into our work and to express lay women’s views and experiences in ways that augment or critique developing theory and practice in church and academy.
- Show an ongoing understanding of the need to employ critical analysis skills and tools in development of spiritual resources to help members connect an inward journey of spirituality (personal) with a collective attentiveness to the movement of the Spirit and an outward journey of transformative action (public/political).
- Design and lead spiritual retreats for members when appropriate and requested.
- Bring or develop connections with a wide array of women of faith who can reflect theologically on their service and advocacy in writings, videos, blogs and other media so that UMW members have faith models and mentors from many settings and learn to see themselves as spiritual leaders.
- Embrace and support the UMW operating framework in appropriate role(s).
How to Apply
Online applications only: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GEN1018GAUMC/JobBoard/3c8451c4-21d2-4483-85bc-5e4af5458201/Account/Register?redirectUrl=%2FGEN1018GAUMC%2FJobBoard%2F3c8451c4-21d2-4483-85bc-5e4af5458201%2FOpportunityApply%3FopportunityId%3Dc3b11465-0e0a-4d13-a9b8-77b41aaeee2f&cancelUrl=%2FGEN1018GAUMC%2FJobBoard%2F3c8451c4-21d2-4483-85bc-5e4af5458201%2FOpportunityDetail%3FopportunityId%3Dc3b11465-0e0a-4d13-a9b8-77b41aaeee2f
Contact Phone: 212-870-3667