Trinity UMC: Organist / Music Associate
Date Posted: 10/24/2018
Trinity UMC, Arlington, TX
Trinity United Methodist Church in Arlington, Texas has an immediate opening for the church’s Organist/Music Associate position, a full-time employment role with primary responsibility involving performance utilizing the church’s 21-rank Ross King Pipe Organ.
The Organist/Music Associate, supervised by the Director of Music & Worship, occupies a pivotal leadership component within the church’s overall Music and Worship Ministry. Ideal candidates will possess a contagious passion for music ministry within the church and will demonstrate an ability to engage others to participate in Trinity’s varied music ministry opportunities.
- Strong Christian faith and character
- Supporter of the vision and mission of TUMC
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading, playing and performing music or accompaniment on both organ and piano. Applicants will audition before being selected for the position.
- Experience and mastery playing a range of sacred music genres including traditional, classical, folk, spirituals and gospel music.
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Music alongside a Certification from the American Guild of Organists is required. Preference will be given to applicants who have completed Masters or Doctoral degrees in Music from schools of music accredited by NASM.
- Demonstrated ability to rehearse and conduct children/adult handbell ensembles
- Familiarity with computer-based music-writing software helpful
- Organist/Pianist for Traditional worship services (currently 2 per week, both on Sunday morning)
- Perform solo organ/piano repertoire appropriate to season & occasion – preludes, postludes, occasional offertories, transitional music, etc.
- Accompany congregational singing – incorporating usage of inspiring registrations, introductions, alternate harmonizations, and improvisations
- Organist/Pianist for special seasonal services/performances, including Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, annual Christmas Concerts, Christmas Eve and others as needed
- Accompanist for the church’s choral ensembles – Chancel Choir, Chamber Singers, Women’s Ensemble, Sacred Pops, Youth Choir and Children’s Choir.
- Organist/Pianist for weddings & funerals (additional compensation is provided)
- Direct Trinity Kid’s Handbell Choir for 3rd-6th-grade ringers (currently rehearsing Wednesday evenings and during Trinity’s week-long summer Music Camp)
- Facilitate/encourage instrumental soloists & ensembles involving church musicians
- Lead choral sectional rehearsals as needed
- Lead choral rehearsals in absence of director, as mutually agreed
- Assist with support/coordination of outside groups in concert at Trinity
- Coordinate regular maintenance of pipe organ and church-owned pianos
- Participate in weekly staff & worship planning meetings
- Follow established protocols regarding scheduling & calendaring
- Additional tasks as needed
How to Apply
1. Email resume and ancillary materials (recordings, videos, faith statements, etc.).
2. Selected applicants will be invited to an initial interview and tour of the church campus, to include an opportunity to view the church’s pipe organ and pianos.
3. Selected candidates will complete a 1-hour audition before a panel of church and professional music personnel.
4. Selected candidates will enter the final stage, which may include an interview with senior staff and Trinity’s Staff Parish Relations Committee (personnel committee).
To apply, email all materials to Director of Music & Worship Kendall Carter at
Contact Phone: (817) 274-1345