Trietsch Memorial UMC: Special Needs Ministry Coordinator
Date Posted: 7/10/2018
Trietsch Memorial UMC, Flower Mound, TX
- Provide a safe, nurturing, loving environment on Sunday mornings for children and adults with special needs where they can experience the love of Jesus Christ while their parents/guardians are given the opportunity to worship.
- Provide oversight and leadership for special needs Sunday morning programming including:
- Recruit, develop and train volunteer staff and paid staff to foster a nurturing environment with a favorable staff to student ratio.
- Select and develop appropriate curriculum and materials that lead participants into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ at their level.
- Create (in consultation with the parents) individual plans to meet the physical, spiritual and social needs of each child or adult in the program.
- Maintain participant and family information to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date while safeguarding the confidentiality of families
- Oversee budget and expenditures for the Special Needs Ministry
- Provide continuing education and guidance for church staff and volunteers regarding how to most appropriately communicate with and teach individuals with special needs
- Provide oversight and leadership for parent support including:
- Develop a plan for support group meetings and/or other related events, based on parental requests and/or need.
- Invite and utilize guest speakers when appropriate.
- Provide individual support to families as needed or requested.
- Develop and implement strategies for advertising the Butterfly Ministry program within Trietsch and the community
- Develop and oversee a volunteer-run Buddy program at Trietsch for children and youth who are able to participate in children and youth programming but need additional assistance. Coordinate with the Director of Youth Ministries and the Director of Children’s Ministries as needs arise.
- Develop a plan for respite events for families with special needs.
- Recruit and oversee volunteers to provide music programming for participants. Coordinate with the Music Ministry department to provide opportunities to share the gift of music with the congregation.
- Maintain and purchase equipment for the Butterfly room(s).
- Degree in Education, Psychology or related field
- 3 or more years of experience working with individuals with special needs in an educational or clinical setting or direct family experience with individuals with special needs.
How to Apply
Email resume to
Contact Phone: (972) 539-8547