The West Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church: Chief Financial Officer
Date Posted: 2/14/2019
The West Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church, Charleston, Va
The West Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer. This role is responsible for budget coordination, cash and investment management, central treasury operations, financial reporting and accounting management of all conference assets, supervision of finance staff, the administrative functions of the annual conference in support of all ministry and mission areas, including property and office support.
- Perform the duties of conference treasurer.
- Implement procedures to fulfill the duties of the conference trustees.
- Serve as the corporate officer of the corporation as so nominated by the Conference Council on Finance and Administration and elected by the annual conference.
- Serve as primary or secondary staff person to administrative teams, boards, committees, and agencies of the conference.
- Build and align financial, administrative, and asset planning and management processes in the West Virginia Conference to ensure adequate support and growth of the entire system.
- Manage receipts and disbursements of conference and General Church funds.
- Administer and monitor the development of the annual conference budget, in consultation with the conference council of finance and administration.
- Manage the cash of the conference including short-term investments, certificates of deposit, borrowings, and all banking relationships.
- Manage special financial campaigns.
- Maintain liaison with General Council on Finance & Administration.
- Calculate ministry shares (apportionments) and provide guidance to churches and congregations.
- Supervise and evaluate finance staff, including managing staff, coordinating the finance department, directing staff, and relating to staff.
- Manage the collection and review of statistical information from local churches, in consultation with the conference statistician.
- Provide information and training and respond to questions by pastors, local church leaders, etc. relating to church and clergy tax issues, finances, budgeting, internal control, required forms, legal requirements and issues, property issues, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is required
- MBA, MPA, CPA or equivalent experience preferred, with 501(c)(3) not-for-profit religious groups is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting or related field required
- Management experience in supervising diverse professional staff required
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of non-profit governance, management, accounting, financial planning and business processes
- Knowledge of administration and personnel management and all aspects of financial functions
- Knowledge of the structure and polity of The United Methodist Church preferred
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Great Plains, MIP, Outlook
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to vision; motivate and inspire persons for ministry and mission
- Willingness and ability to support the vision, mission and critical issues and core values of the annual conference
- Ability to work with a team in order to implement the work of the annual conference
- Willingness to travel, both within and outside of the area of the West Virginia Conference
- Company provided vehicle
- Generous health benefits
- Retirement benefits
Apply by March 15, 2019
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter to
Contact Phone: 615-369-2357