Tarrytown UMC: Director of Student Ministry
Date Posted: 6/23/2022
Tarrytown UMC, Austin, TX
Tarrytown United Methodist Church is a vibrant and growing church located in the Tarrytown neighborhood just west of downtown Austin with a membership of 2,500 and an average worship attendance of around 500.
We are looking for a Christ-centered, relationship-oriented, innovative, collaborative leader as our next Director of Student Ministry. You will be primarily responsible for developing and overseeing the ministry of middle and high school students and their families to grow in their faith through worship, learning, and service.
You will connect these students and their families to a relationship with Christ and to one another, creating environments where all students belong and can grow as disciples. You will work in partnership with the Lead Pastor, church staff, the Youth Committee, and other church leadership as they lift up and participate in the lives of our students and their families and will supervise the Assistant Director of Student Ministry.
This full-time position comes with paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance and retirement benefits.
What You’ll Do
- Build and operate our youth ministry, aligned to United Methodist Church principles and utilizing best in class frameworks for attracting and developing youth
- Develop our youth and students as Christian leaders for the church and the world
- Create the vision, strategy and goals for Student Ministry in collaboration with other church leaders, creating a cohesive, spiritual and connected experience for students as they grow with the church
- Craft a calendar of programming and events that lends itself to the interest of the students and fosters a community of inclusion and outreach to new students
- Lead, recruit and develop the Student Ministry staff and volunteers
- Develop and oversee channels for fundraising to support programs and participation
- Coach and walk with families in partnership and support of their students
- Regularly attend and participate in church services, small groups and programs
What You’ll Need
- Passion for your own spiritual growth, and fostering that growth in youth
- Strong ability to form relationships and connection with youth already attending the church and finding and bringing in others
- 3+ years of leadership/staff experience in a medium or large church
- Demonstrated excellence in leading ministries for youth and families
- Proven ability to build strong volunteer ministry teams
- Sound formation in the theology and practice of the United Methodist Church
- Ability to work full-time with responsibilities on Sunday mornings/evenings, some Friday nights and Saturdays, and some weeknights; occasional travel required
- Experience crafting and leading both traditional and modern worship services
- Theological degree and/or professional certification
How to Apply
Email your resume and overview of your call to youth ministry to Patty Bergfield, Pastor of Adult Discipleship, at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 512-472-3111