St. Andrew UMC: Building Maintenance Technician
Date Posted: 4/24/2019
St. Andrew UMC, Plano, TX
Under the direct supervision of the Facilities Director, this position would maintain and repair Church buildings and facilities, oversee and evaluate the work of contractors, and perform a variety of tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility. This is a broad classification with individual positions assigned to specific functional areas; duties and assignments may overlap depending on the operational needs of the department and staffing levels. The Building Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintaining and proactively facilitating a good relationship with the Church staff, visitors and membership and is a partner in ministry helping to fulfill the mission and vision of St. Andrew United Methodist Church.
- Perform electrical, plumbing, carpentry, locksmithing and painting work to maintain church property and buildings.
- Perform routine HVAC system preventative maintenance work; determine HVAC system problems and make repairs or recommendations for repairs.
- Move and relocate office furniture; make adjustments to desks, chairs and files.
- Oversee roof maintenance program; inspect condition of roofs; clean roof gutters and drains.
- Oversee parking lot and building light program; replace lamps, ballasts and covers as needed.
- Repair locking systems on doors, files, cabinets and lockers.
- Oversee the church calendar of events to ensure janitorial help is coordinated with calendared events.
- Oversee contracted janitorial work. Work closely with the janitorial manager to maintain the cleanliness of the church and maintain janitorial supplies and inventory.
- Ensure facilities and buildings are in compliance with local and other federal guidelines and safety regulations.
- Participate in the preparation of the building maintenance budget; help monitor budget expenditures.
- Requisition building maintenance supplies, material and equipment; monitor inventory; load and unload supplies.
- Transport and empty trash and recycling containers as necessary.
- Maintain building lighting. Perform basic electrical repairs to fixtures and outlets. Monitor and maintain light bulb and ballast inventory and supplies.
- Move and set up tables and chairs for special events as needed.
- Respond to requests and inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Run errands as needed.
- Perform related duties as requested
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- The Spanish language
- Basic mathematical principles
- Methods and principles of general building maintenance
- Principles of carpentry, plumbing, painting and electrical work
- Principles of heating, ventilation and cooling systems
- Locksmithing and building lock and security systems
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations related to areas of assignment
- Perform preventative maintenance services
- Operate a variety of hand and power equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Read and interpret blueprints and plans
- Monitor and evaluate the work of contractors
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Required Education, Experience and Licensing
- High School Diploma or Higher
- 2 or more years Building Trades or related field time
- 3 or more years General Facilities Maintenance
- Valid Driver’s License
- Maintains or has ability to obtain valid refrigerant transition and recovery certification
Supervisory Responsibility: This is not a supervisory position.
Environment: Work with machinery; work at heights; work in confined spaces; exposure to electricity, water, noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes.
Physical: Sufficient physical ability to perform moderate or light lifting and carrying; walking or standing for prolonged periods of time; bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing ladders, crawling; operating motorized equipment and vehicles.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This maintenance position is a non-exempt hourly position. Work week hours can be Monday through Friday.
How to Apply
Send resume to
Contact Phone: 972-380-8001