Southern Methodist University: Associate Director 2
Date Posted: 9/18/2018
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
Anticipated start date of June 1, 2019.
Perkins School of Theology seeks an Associate Director to manage, supervise and evaluate interns for the Master of Divinity and Master of Arts in Ministry degree programs. These degree programs require successful completion of the Perkins internship. This job is essential to the theological curriculum as it seeks to form persons for ministry and community leadership.
The primary mission of Perkins School of Theology, to prepare women and men for faithful leadership in Christian ministry, precisely defines the mission of the Perkins Intern Program. In the Perkins Internship, students integrate the knowledge and theological reflection disciplines learned in the classroom with the practical demands of providing faithful leadership within a congregation or agency.
The Perkins Intern Program is widely recognized as an exemplary program in preparing persons for effective Christian ministry. The three full-time Intern Faculty members are committed to working with each Master of Divinity and Master of Arts in Ministry student to provide an internship that maximizes learning opportunities within a hands-on ministerial experience.
Note: the position requires evening hours, occasional in-state and out- of state travel
- Placing of interns in churches or institutions in variety of contexts
- Training and working with lay teaching committees in each ministry setting
- Selecting, training and working with mentor pastors/mentors (on-site supervisors
- Selecting and working with consultants
- Leading required internship seminars
- Evaluating, in cooperation with lay teaching committees and mentor pastors, the work and learning of interns
- Participate in regular meetings to discuss supervisory, placement, and administrative concerns
Education and Experience
- Master of Divinity or equivalent is required. Doctor of Ministry is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in congregations and/or other ministry settings following completion of master’s degree is required.
- Experiences providing supervision for growth in church leadership; guiding theological reflection; working with diversity in matters of culture, class, ethnicity, gender and theology; and participating significantly in community ministry are required.
- Ordination in a Christian denomination is highly desirable.
- Membership in The United Methodist Church or other Methodist denomination is desirable.
- Familiarity with the African American church tradition is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Southwest and its ethnic groups is desirable.
- Knowledge of various denominational/non-denominational groups is preferred.
- Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- A strong customer service orientation is essential.
- Candidate must possess strong time management, organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must also possess strong project management skills. A strong focus on attention to details is essential.
- Candidate must have a significant working knowledge of computers and MS Office.
Deadline to Apply: The position is open until filled. For priority consideration, please submit application before Oct. 15,.
How to Apply
Please apply online ONLY at https://smu.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=PER00000024&tz=GMT-05%3A00
Contact Phone: (214) 768-3311