Prosper UMC: Staff Accompanist
Date Posted: 12/19/2019
Prosper UMC, Prosper, TX
The staff accompanist will primarily play keyboard instruments for the congregation during church services and for the Chancel Choir during rehearsals.
- Play for two traditional worship services on Sunday mornings (8:30-9:45 a.m. & 11 a.m-12:15 p.m.) with a 30-minute rehearsal before each service.
- Accompany Chancel Choir rehearsals on Wednesday evenings (6:30-8:30 p.m.).
- Meet with the Director of Music Ministries weekly to plan and review service music (time/method TBD).
- Responsible for selection and timely communication of service music, including preludes, postludes and music during distribution of communion elements appropriate to the season and service.
- Adequate preparation of hymns, congregational songs, choir anthems and incidental service music.
- Provide accompaniment for vocal or instrumental soloists and small ensembles.
- Play for additional services and special events throughout the year, including Christmas Eve services (numerous services throughout the afternoon and evening), a “Blue Christmas Service,” Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
- Play for approximately five extra rehearsals leading up to special presentations throughout the year.
- Arrange for acceptable substitute musicians when unable to attend. Compensation for substitutes is provided for two Sundays annually. The use of substitutes beyond the church-compensated limit of two may be approved by the church. Unless otherwise approved, compensation for these additional substitutes will be considered the church musician/accompanist’s responsibility.
- Evidence of Christian faith and Christian character
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Dedication to a collaborative team work environment
- High energy and enthusiasm for growing disciples of Jesus Christ through the ministry of music and worship
- Good organizational skills, attentive to details and committed to follow through
- Willing to take initiative to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong commitment to cooperation and hospitality
- Capable of maintaining focus, patience, and peace in a busy environment
- Ability to handle conflict with grace
- Demonstrates learning agility while being coachable and open to grow
- Ability to play keyboard music of moderate to advanced difficulty
- Ability to improvise on and embellish on hymns and congregational songs
- Skilled in sight-reading and accompanying technique
- Ability to play in a variety of musical styles with confidence
- Basic knowledge of and experience in church music
- Play for services and rehearsals on Sunday morning: 3.5 hours
- Play for Wednesday evening choir rehearsals: 2 hours
- Spend adequate time selecting and practicing service music: Approximately 2 hours
- Plan and review service music with church staff: Approximately 1 hour
- Additional time required to play for special services and rehearsals during church holiday seasons.
- During summer months (approximately mid-June through mid-August), this total is reduced due to the summer schedule, when the Chancel Choir takes a break.
Reporting: This position reports directly to the Director of Music Ministries and is accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee
How to Apply
Submit resumes to
Contact Phone: 972-347-2372