Prosper UMC: Director of Music Ministries
Date Posted: 12/18/2018
Prosper UMC, Prosper, TX
The purpose of the Director of Music Ministries is to oversee the traditional music ministry of the church in cooperation with the senior pastor. The Director will organize choirs, orchestras and musical ensembles as needed and warranted to engage all persons who seek to express their Christian witness through music. In addition, the Director will supervise the Children’s Choir Director, Staff Accompanist and Choral Section Leaders.
- Select appropriate hymns and songs for congregational singing that expands the repertoire while also embracing the historical favorites.
- Select, edit and/or write the Call to Worship for worship services.
- Select anthems and worship music for the choir, arranging as needed for the number and types of voices participating.
- Help prepare the weekly Order of Worship and submit the draft for final design and printing.
- Send lyrics/liturgy when needed on the screens in worship.
- Direct the Chancel Choir and work with the pastor to select appropriate music in keeping with worship themes and liturgical seasons.
- Seek to develop the musical skills of the choir and instrumental participants through regular rehearsals, coaching, workshops, etc.
- Develop an annual budget for the assigned music programs of the church and administer the music and worship budget as approved by Finance and Administrative Council.
- Promote growth and stability of all choirs.
- Supervise the activities of the music ministry in terms of Chancel Choir, Children’s Choir, other instrumental ensembles, and in the recruitment and training processes.
- Plan special musical events and presentations throughout the year in coordination with other appropriate staff and laity.
- Participate in weddings, baptisms, funerals, memorials, and other rituals of transition in the life of the congregation when so requested.
- Help prepare the sanctuary space for worship.
- Meet with the pastor regularly for planning the weekly services and for developing creative worship elements.
- Stay connected and expand connections and relationships with musicians in the area.
- Evidence of Christian faith and Christian character
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Dedication to a collaborative team work environment
- High energy and enthusiasm for growing disciples of Jesus Christ through the ministry of music
- Good organizational skills, attentive to details and committed to follow through
- Willing to take initiative to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong commitment to cooperation and hospitality
- Capable of maintaining focus, patience, and peace in a busy environment that involves a full-time preschool, numerous community organizations, and multiple staff members
- Ability to handle conflict with grace
- Demonstrates learning agility while being coachable and open to grow
- Training in vocal performance and in conducting are a preference
How to Apply
Applicants should email their cover letter and resume to
Contact Phone: (972) 347-2372