Project Transformation North Texas: Summer Day Camp Leader (Paid Internship)
Date Posted: 11/12/2019
Project Transformation North Texas, Dallas, TX
Term of Service is May 23, 2020 – July 31, 2020
Project Transformation is transforming the lives of young adults and the children they serve through its year-round programs in underserved areas of Dallas. The service experience is hands-on with the young adults serving in teams and connecting children from diverse cultural, social and economic backgrounds with many adult volunteers. Members have recurring access to vulnerable populations in accordance with CNCS definition. Members are required to wear the AmeriCorps logo daily while serving as an AmeriCorps Member. Members will serve under the supervision of Project Transformation’s Director of Programming and Leadership Development, Elspeth Allen Glaubitz.
- Plan and implement an eight-week summer day camp, and one-week overnight camp for children and/or youth, Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., serving approximately 80 children, 1st through 9th grade. Daily activities include one-to-one reading, physical recreation activities, arts enrichment, music, life skills or other activities in which the gifts and talents of the young adults can be shared with the children.
- Coordinate and implement monthly community events (Family Fun Nights).
- Build relationships with children and families by visiting the parents of the children involved in his/her summer program.
- Participate in career/service exploration events each Friday. (Exposure to various avenues of social service opportunities through guest speakers, field trips and interactions with community leaders.)
- Live in community with other young adults in housing provided by Project Transformation.
- Must be a U.S citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
- Must have completed at least one year of college.
- Must enjoy working with children and/or youth.
- Must display leadership skills, including but not limited to communication, organization, problem solving, dependability, commitment and flexibility.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work effectively independently, as well as with a team.
- Must be comfortable with leading and/or serving with the site team, including work-study students, other AmeriCorps members, site staff, volunteers, community partners and PT staff.
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Internet.
- Must support the Mission and Core Values of Project Transformation.
- Must meet AmeriCorps qualification criteria, including serving a minimum of 450 hours and serving through July 31, 2020**.
*Reasonable accommodations will be made to persons with mental or physical disabilities.
- $2,500 living stipend for one year of service (pending increase in living stipend and education voucher)
- $1,638.89 education award (can be applied towards past loans or future education) – upon completion of hours and full length of service term as stated above**
- Housing and most meals during term of service
+Some leadership roles include an increase in compensation
In the event of a local, state, or federal disaster declaration, AmeriCorps members may be asked on a volunteer basis or be required by OneStar to activate to assist in disaster response and recovery activities within their communities. This may involve virtual service opportunities or in-person service opportunities. This may include service opportunities outside of the member’s standard service hours or in place of their standard service duties. In the event of a large-scale, high needs local, state, or federal disaster, AmeriCorps members may voluntarily or be required by OneStar to deploy to an area outside of their service area to assist in disaster response and recovery activities.
How to Apply
Priority deadline for leadership team is Feb. 1, 2020
Apply at: https://projecttransformation.org/north-texas/our-programs/young-adult-service-program/member-application
Contact Phone: 214-946-3600