New York Annual Conference: Treasurer & Director of Administrative Services
Date Posted: 2/13/2023
New York Annual Conference, White Plains, NY
Manages and directs the activities of financial accounting and reporting, administrative services, clergy & staff benefits, human resources, information technology, property management and treasury. Treasurer is also a participant in strategic and conference-wide planning activities. Communicates regularly with local churches, district superintendents and conference committees on financial and general business matters.
Reports to: Conference Council on Finance and Administration (CF&A)
Direct Reports: Controller, HR & Benefits Manager, Information & Technology Consultant and Property Manager
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Finance activities including: annual audit of books and records (Conference, Board of Trustees, Camps & Episcopal Office), financial policies and procedures, financial statements and reports, statistical tables process, and funding plans for pension and healthcare liabilities
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Accounting activities including: accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, church apportionments, financial close, financial statement preparation, restricted fund administration, grant administration, credit card administration, loan administration, accounting systems, cash flow management and payroll for conference staff and affiliated entities
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Clergy & Staff Benefits activities including: clergy data administration (appointments, compensation changes, retirements, etc), health care for active and retired clergy and laity, long-term disability programs, pension plans for active and retired clergy and laity, wellness programs, evaluation and implementation of new health and pension plans, financial hardship grants and retirement seminars
- Oversees banking and institutional fund management relationships, annual Budget Hearings process, Episcopal Office budget and support, restricted fund reporting and assists in the preparation of Council on Financial and Administration and Board of Pensions and Health Benefits reports to Annual Conference
- Provides detailed annual statistical analysis to the Bishop and Cabinet to support cabinet decision making.
- Provides detailed financial reports at each meeting of the Cabinet, Council on Finance and Administration, Parish Development Committee, Board of Pensions & Health Benefits and Board of Trustees.
- Issues periodic communications to church leadership on various finance topics (Clergy Housing, Insurance, Audits, Budget Inputs, etc.)
- Performs and administers the following Administrative Services functions: contracts between outside parties and the conference, property & casualty, umbrella, auto and D&O insurance for conference-owned properties / assets, workers compensation insurance for all member churches & preschools, healthcare non-payment termination process.
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Human Resources and benefits activities including: annual healthcare enrollment, clergy data administration (appointments, compensation changes, retirements, etc), staff hiring and termination, orientation of new conference staff, personnel manual updates, grievance administration and maintenance of personnel files.
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Information Technology activities including: IT support services contract and relationship, data processing functions, LAN and server administration, phone system administration, security system administration, and hardware and software replacement.
- Supervises staff responsible for the successful completion of all Property Management activities including: managing the physical facilities of the Conference Center and Episcopal Residence by establishing and maintaining contractual or on-call relationships with vendors and coordinating building and equipment inspections. Administers activities associated with closed churches including insurance coverage, bank and investment account transfers, bill payment and the settlement of proceeds upon sale.
- Coordinates and oversees annual performance review, merit increase and whistleblower hotline processes
- Attends and actively participates in key Conference committee meetings including: Cabinet, Extended Cabinet, Council on Finance and Administration, Commission on Equitable Compensation, Parish Development Committee, Board of Pensions & Health Benefits, Personnel Committee, Long-range / Strategic Planning, Board of Trustees and Audit Committee.
- Responds to inquiries from church clergy, Treasurers, Finance Chairs and other individuals
- Plans staffing support for and participates in the execution of Annual Conference
- Works with Conference Chancellor on legal matters, fees & settlements
- Provides training at District Resource days, Compass meetings and at individual churches upon request
- Attends annual meetings of the General Council of Finance & Administration (GCFA) and National Association of Annual Conference Treasurers (NAACT)
- Strong leadership, supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong accounting skills with attention to accuracy and completeness
- Experience in financial reporting, financial statements and audits (Not-for-Profit, Fund Accounting preferred)
- Experience in health care and pension plan administration and post-retirement benefit obligations
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and projects
- Ability to build, maintain and develop professional and support staff
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA and/or Masters in Business Administration is preferred
- Minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in accounting / finance
- Minimum of seven (7) years of supervisory experience in accounting
- Advanced skill level in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- A deep knowledge of, and commitment to, the United Methodist Church and how it functions at the local church, district, conference and general church levels is especially essential.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 888-696-6922