New World UMC: Children's Director
Date Posted: 9/23/2019
New World UMC, Garland, TX
New World United Methodist Church is seeking an enthusiastic adult with a personal commitment to Jesus Christ to lead and grow our children’s program. The ideal candidate should have a strong love for children and families. The Director shall counsel, inspire, motivate and encourage children in their efforts to live out God’s will as Christians.
- Overseeing Sunday school classes and activities, kindergarten to 6th grade, scheduling teachers, assisting teachers, ordering curriculum, etc.
- Building and maintaining a strong and fruitful relationship with the New World Day School’s staff, Youth Director, parents and children.
- Learning and understanding the spiritual needs of the children in our church and community.
- Recruiting, training, supporting, inspiring and supervising volunteer staff serving the children’s ministries.
- Meeting regularly with the Children’s Education Team.
- Supporting all children’s activities and special functions (holiday activities, Movie Night, VBS, etc.).
- Being responsible for and maintaining files for background checks (Ministry Safe) for all children’s volunteers, including those transporting children for church activities.
- Securing, stocking and maintaining resources/materials needed for children’s activities.
- Working every Sunday from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
- Promoting and communicating children’s programs/activities to the congregation and community.
- Creating and effectively managing the budget for the children’s program.
- Maintaining files for background checks (Ministry Safe) for all staff and volunteers
- The proven ability to work effectively with children, parents and volunteers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide complex projects and spontaneous activities related to children’s ministries.
- Some college or college degree required.
- Previous successful experience working with children in a group setting required.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Computer skills with knowledge of software programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point.
- A flexible work schedule will be developed with the Senior Pastor/Staff Parish Relations Team.
- This is a part-time position with no paid holidays, sick leave or vacation time.
- Any time off during work hours must be discussed with Pastor and/or SPRC chair.
- Thirty days written notification will be given by either employer (NWUMC) or the employee before the termination of employment.
Salary: $20,000 annually
How to Apply
Interested candidates please submit a resume and references to Beth Steerman at
Contact Phone: 972-226-3082