Marvin UMC: Director of Music and Fine Arts
Date Posted: 4/5/2021
Marvin UMC, Tyler, TX
The Director of Music and Fine Arts of Marvin United Methodist Church oversees the traditional music program of the Church, including all choirs, organist, instrumental music, bell choirs, children’s music programs, youth music programs and special programs and performances.
The Director has primary responsibility for traditional music offerings in all sanctuary services. In addition, the Director will promote and oversee the Marvin Concert Series and coordinate the Mewbourne Choir Enrichment Fund.
The Director is a music educator and a spiritual leader expected to connect with choir members, the congregation and the community through worship, weddings, funerals, fellowship events, concerts, rehearsals, retreats, classes and media publicity. The Director will have an Associate Director of Music and Fine Arts/Organist to assist in managing the traditional music program.
- Oversee the entire traditional music program of the church to ensure all musical offerings are meaningful, spiritually relevant and of the highest quality.
- Encourage spiritual growth and cultivate community among participants in the traditional music program with emphasis on the Chancel Choir.
- Direct the Chancel Choir and assume responsibility for the direction and/or supervision of all other adult choirs, youth choirs, children’s choirs, hand bells and related traditional music offerings.
- Recruit, train, and rehearse choir members and/or music team; Guide and motivate singers with varied music backgrounds in proper singing techniques.
- Maintain an active recruitment program to provide acceptable levels of choir membership, soloists, and small ensembles for traditional worship services.
- Develop and utilize lay talent and youth talent from the congregation when appropriate.
- Plan and manage rehearsals, guest artists and concerts as needed.
- Contract with individual musicians, both from within and without the community, to provide special music as necessary.
- Maintain high profile within the community, recognizing that Marvin Church is strongly ingrained in the Tyler area community. Civic involvement under the aegis of Marvin Church is encouraged, but primary focus on Marvin choirs and music activities is expected.
- Coordinate with sanctuary worship team on a weekly basis to produce the order of worship and bulletins.
- Work with staff, boards, and congregation to build and maintain sponsor and patron relations and ensure the continued success of the Marvin Concert Series.
- Work with designated individuals to coordinate the Mewbourne Choir Enrichment Fund.
- Be a part of the entire staff of the church and participate in staff meetings and staff development days. Seek and develop opportunities to coordinate with other ministry areas.
- Develop an annual budget in order to select, purchase, and maintain music resources within budget guidelines and restrictions.
- Maintain necessary financial data as required by the Finance Department and ensure expenses remain within approved budget guidelines.
- Maintain professional development utilizing the annual continuing education funds. Specific professional development choices are subject to the approval of Executive Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Maintain regular office hours at church.
- Maintain residence in the Tyler area.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Pastor or Executive Pastor.
Supervision of Others: Associate Director of Music, Organist, Hand Bell Directors (paid or volunteer), Youth and Children’s Choir Directors (paid or volunteer), Volunteers in Music Programs
Supervision Received: Directly accountable to the Executive Pastor. Must work successfully in consultation with the Lay Worship Committee. Final responsibility for all employment and performance issues rests with the Staff Parish Relations Committee of the church.
Personal Contacts: Close working relationship with music staff, volunteers, congregation and community.
Working Conditions: Full-time position, private office, administrative support.
- Mature Christian with beliefs compatible with United Methodist doctrine.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Music or the equivalent or five years related experience. Degree in Music with special emphasis on choral conducting preferred.
- Worship leading skills and the ability to plan and lead a seamless worship service in a traditional style.
- Significant experience in a church setting with a volunteer choir; large church experience is necessary.
- Proficient accompanying skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office and related software.
- Membership in appropriate professional associations.
- A self-starter, energetic team player who demonstrates a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity; communicates effectively; maintains professional demeanor when working with diverse personalities in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrates appropriate grooming and appearance.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Accepts supervision and demonstrates a willingness to learn.
- Accurately follows written and oral instructions.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work independently when appropriate.
- Exhibits thoroughness, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Manages multiple tasks and priorities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Demonstrates availability, accessibility, and timely responsiveness to people and issues.
- Functions in accordance with the Personnel Manual and other related policies.
How to Apply
Detailed job description can be found at https://marvinumc.com/who-we-are/job-openings/
Please submit letter of interest and current curriculum vitae by Friday, May 7, 2021, to Music Director Search Team, Marvin UMC, 300 West Erwin, Tyler, Texas 75702 or email.
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 903-592-7396