Justice for Our Neighbors: Communications Consultant
Date Posted: 6/21/2018
Justice for Our Neighbors, Dallas, TX
The Justice for Our Neighbors (JFON) network welcomes immigrants into our communities by providing free or low-cost, high-quality immigration legal services, education and advocacy.
There are five independently operated JFON sites within Texas: Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, and East Texas (Tyler). The role of the new communications consultant is to strengthen collective and individual public relations, social media and advocacy throughout these five sites. The position will be administered by Houston Justice for Our Neighbors.
*While this is a contract position and the work location is flexible, the communications consultant will be expected to travel to each JFON site in Texas at least three times per year and to engage in periodic in-person meetings in Austin and elsewhere.
- Develop and lead overall communications strategy and organizational branding statewide.
- Develop and manage a proactive digital media strategy.
- Manage online and print editorial activities.
- Develop and enhance relationships with reporters, columnists and broadcast producers at both statewide and local levels.
- Build capacity at the JFON sites in Texas to establish a high quality strategy to enhance meaningful relationships with targeted audiences – including donors, media, public officials and other key allies.
- Develop staff at local sites to be ambassadors for JFON’s message and mission by developing and implementing staff media trainings.
- Recruit and manage a communications team at individual sites by relying on consultants, boards, interns and volunteers to support and execute the communications strategy.
- Institute and manage a communications system for the Texas JFON sites to share information on funding and other resources.
- Ongoing site research and information gathering of each JFON’s website, blog, e-newsletter, and associated web and social media channels to ensure fulfillment of the localized strategic plan.
- Work with each site to ensure information on website is relevant and up to date.
- Maintain a Texas JFON media database.
- Provide training to Executive Directors and/or Board Chairs on responding to press requests, and connect local JFON staff and partners with viable media opportunities to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to JFON, as well as, JFON programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Review JFON materials, to make sure alignment with the overall strategic communications plan.
- Manage relationships with any communications-related vendors or consultants.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or related field.
- 4+ years communications, marketing, or related experience in nonprofit, political campaigns, and/or social justice-related work
- Highly collaborative style, experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently, with an entrepreneurial enthusiasm who enjoys creating and implementing initiatives.
- Confident leader, manager and coach for boards, ED’s, staff attorneys, and volunteers.
- Commitment to social justice
- Experience with all types of social media and communications software and platforms.
- Familiarity or experience with social justice and/or immigration issues preferred.
- Written and spoken fluency in a language other than English, especially Spanish, preferred.
- Willing to understand the organizational position of JFON within the global missions of the United Methodist Church
- Minimum of a 4-year degree
- Background check
Compensation: Contract Position up to $95,000 (including travel expenses).
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, writing samples, and the names of three references to: [email protected]
You may also mail all pertinent materials to the following address:
San Antonio Region Justice for Our Neighbors
University United Methodist Church
5084 DeZavala Road, Suite N203.1
San Antonio, TX 78249