Holy Covenant UMC: Director of Music
Date Posted: 8/18/2022
Holy Covenant UMC, Carrollton, TX
The ideal candidate is one who desires, seeks and commits to our mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. The candidate must have experience in leading adult choirs, supporting youth and children’s choirs and selecting sacred music. The candidate must exhibit a heart for worship in the 21st century.
- Willingness to grow in personal discipleship so that worship leadership, music selection, choir member faith development and congregational worship participation becomes an intentional first step in the process of Discipleship Formation.
- Desire to work as a team member with staff and church members to create a worship experience that moves people from being “performed for” into being “participants of” worshipping God.
- Evidence of skill in selecting and conducting appropriate sacred music.
- Excellent organizational skills, including advanced planning, consistency, responsibility, accountability, and punctuality.
- Participation in two weekly Sunday worship services (8:30 & 10:30 am) and evening services during Advent, Lent, Holy Week.
- Participating in on a worship planning team involving clergy, staff and laity.
- Musical suggestions of hymns, anthems and participation following the worship theme.
- Leading the musical portions of the service.
- Confidently leading and encouraging congregational singing and worship participation.
- Adult Choir Leadership (On site requirements – Wednesdays/4 hours; Sundays/3 hours; some flexibility with other liturgical seasons)
- Wesley Choir is an adult vocal choir who leads worship each week with an anthem. This requires music selection, weekly Wednesday night rehearsals, and Sunday morning warmup and worship leadership.
- Hand Bell Choir is an adult handbell choir who leads worship on a scheduled basis. During the school year there are weekly Wednesday night rehearsals preparing for when the bells play in worship.
- Coordinating with accompanist
- Organizing Praise Team occasional worship appearance.
- Youth & Children’s Music Ministry
- Children’s Music is part of our Sunday Morning curriculum during the Sunday School hour preparing to participate in worship every six weeks.
- Facilities and Resource Management
- Oversee the maintenance of the choral libraries
- Organize and maintain the choir room and closets
- Keep accurate records of music ministry expenses and work with Director of Finance to manage budget.
- Communication Responsibilities
- Choir emails, newsletters, and such to keep the adults informed of music selections, rehearsals, and worship leadership events.
How to Apply
Email a resume to Rev. Cheryl Murphy at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 972-492-2432