Highland Park UMC: Director Communications
Date Posted: 1/30/2019
Highland Park UMC, Dallas, TX
The Communications Director is responsible for the development of Highland Park United Methodist Church’s (HPUMC) communication strategy. The Communications Director will be responsible for the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of communications activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of HPUMC and its leadership. The Communications Director will lead the Communications team to ensure that the communications products align with the goals/mission/brand standards of HPUMC. Specifically the role of the Communications Director is to:
- Further the mission of the church by making both visible and appealing the life of the church to those inside and outside
- Create excellent creative content, especially as related to content for sermon series and worship as a whole
- Create and manage the brand
- Create and maintain a strategy for communicating with the congregation
- Represent HPUMC to the media and communities at large
Reports To: Executive Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Working Hours: 33.5+ hours per week.
Anticipated Schedule: Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Fridays 8:30 a.m. to noon.
During certain times of the year additional hours may be necessary to meet the demands of the job. All church staff will be asked to support and serve for religious holidays and worship services including Christmas Eve and Easter.
- First and foremost, ensures that all communication materials for sermon series and worship contain great and accurate content and are presented to align with the church’s mission and the needs of the Sr Pastor and Executive Pastor.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as communications counselor to HPUMC leadership and staff
- Directly supervise the Associate Director/Sr Project Manager, Content Manager and Creative Manager
- Attends Senior Leadership Team meetings to ensure that the communications strategy will be aligned with the needs of the Senior Pastor
- Oversee development of all communications (print, digital, video, audio)
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Responsible for the consistent brand-aligned presentation of the church both internally and externally
- Manages an integrated strategic brand management plan tied to the overall strategic objectives of HPUMC
- Creates and manages an ongoing Marketing Plan that supports the achievement of the HPUMC Strategic Plan and maintains the integrity of the HPUMC brand image
- Establishes Public Relations goals and works with all available media to promote HPUMC message(s) and brand
- Oversees the development and management of an integrated year-round social media strategy and presence
- Develops organizational collateral material including videos and fundraising material in collaboration with the Executive Director of Generosity and other Ministry Leaders as necessary
- Develops advertising program for traditional and social media outlets
- Serves as key spokesperson for the organization alongside the Senior Minister and Executive Minister
- Works with the staff and leadership of HPUMC to ensure positive and active communication of the core priorities, events, fundraising efforts, serving initiatives, and celebratory moments/ministry stories
- Works with ministry teams to support them in developing a communications plan for their ministry.
- Provides goal-setting, visioning, leadership, and strategic direction for Communications Team Members to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Directs and manages Communications Team activities. Ensures that team members are invested in team activities and decisions and that the team works together to achieve organizational goals.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Guides, motivates, and participates in the training, professional development, and evaluation of direct and shared reports
- Supervise relationships with vendors, consultants, and contractors
- Updates skills regularly to enhance knowledge of communications and marketing
- Maintains knowledge of current and evolving trends in media, communications, technology, fundraising, and social media
- Acquires knowledge of cutting edge innovation in church communications (and communications across all industries) and uses to further local work
- Maintains a support system of communications leaders across the across industries and throughout the nation
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field is required
- Minimum 10 years experience
- Served in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of HPUMC staff, and members
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, staff and members
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for the work of HPUMC
- The role usually takes place in standard office hours, but some late and early working may be required at times of high volume.
- Committed Christian, with a willingness to be present on occasional Sundays and for other major events in order to have a true understanding of HPUMC and its mission.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- G Suite (Google, Gmail, Calendar, etc…)
Other Qualifications: Must be a committed Christian, with a church home, who is comfortable working in a United Methodist Church and willing to spend occasional Sundays onsite in order to understand HPUMC firsthand. Our employees are called to lead a life that becomes the gospel, and we expect them to exhibit appropriate demeanor both on and off the job.
How to Apply
Visit this link to apply:
Or visit: www.hpumc.org/ about us/ employment
No calls please