First UMC The Colony: Piano Accompanist
Date Posted: 1/7/2021
First UMC The Colony, The Colony, TX
The piano accompanist is a member of the worship leadership team who accompanies worship music on Sundays and all rehearsals and recordings with ensembles and soloists.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Senior Pastor and Director of Music Ministry
- Accompanies the Chancel Choir and other vocal or instrumental ensembles on the piano during rehearsals and Sunday morning worship
- Arrive early to weeknight rehearsals and Sunday morning worship in order to prepare and warm up
- Some extra time each week may be needed to accompany for musical recordings for worship
- Practice, prepare and perform a prelude, three congregational hymns, musical prayer response, occasional offertories, and postlude every Sunday
- Organize and prepare 1-2 seasonal performance recitals per year as a music ministry fundraiser
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in music or equivalent experience
- Able to play in a variety of musical styles from classical and traditional to more modern and contemporary, including electronic keyboard and electronic organ
- Able to improvise on the keyboard in worship when needed
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. Our church is a warm and welcoming environment with grace-filled people who appreciate strong musical talent.
Physical Demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some walking, filing and lifting is occasionally required, along with moving light music equipment and chairs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a part-time position of approximately 20 hours a week. Salary range is $15,000-19,000 depending on experience.
Changes: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Statement of Understanding: First United Methodist Church The Colony is a religious organization. All staff play an important role in conveying the church’s message and carrying out its mission to lead others toward Christian maturity. Staff are expected to be Christians committed to living a life that reflects the Gospel. This means we expect a higher-than-average level of discernment in your behavior, especially your public-facing behavior. Examples include, but are not limited to, posting appropriately in social media (including personal accounts); speaking thoughtfully in any public setting (church, restaurant, workplace, party or other), writing all communications carefully and respectfully, etc. Since it is not possible to include every behavioral item, as a guideline ask the question “Would this behavior or communication be appropriate for any member of the church to be aware of?” When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
- Screening Interview with Senior Pastor and Director of Music Ministry
- Submission of video samples of piano performances, preferably with one submission of accompanying worship
- Formal Interview and piano audition with Search Committee
- Vote of approval by Staff Parish Relations Committee
How to Apply
Email your resume to Rev. Adam Young at
Contact Phone: 972-625-1281