First UMC The Colony: Finance Administrator
Date Posted: 7/12/2018
First UMC The Colony, The Colony, TX
Responsible for processing and recording deposits, disbursements and payroll; maintains the general ledger and prepares monthly reconciliations and financial statements; maintains contribution records and prepares contribution statements; works with the finance committee chair to prepare the annual budget.
Statement of Understanding: First United Methodist Church The Colony is a religious organization. All staff play an important role in conveying the church’s message and carrying out its mission to lead others toward Christian maturity. Staff is expected to be Christians committed to living a life that reflects the Gospel. This means we expect a higher-than-average level of discernment in your behavior, especially your public-facing behavior. Examples include, but are not limited to, posting appropriately in social media (including personal accounts); speaking thoughtfully in any public setting (church, restaurant, workplace, party or other), writing all communications carefully and respectfully, etc. Since it is not possible to include every behavioral item, as a guideline ask the question “Would this behavior or communication be appropriate for any member of the church to be aware of?” When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Senior Pastor
- Payroll and employee responsibilities:
- Processes payroll in a timely manner for Church staff, New Hope, and Parent’s Day Out.
- Prepares and makes payroll tax deposits as due.
- Prepares and submits appropriate payroll reports, to include 941s, W2s, etc.
- Ensures new staff members complete required new hire paperwork.
- Church budget responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Pastor and Finance Chair in establishing the annual church budget
- Monitors the overall budget
- Reviews all invoices and check requests. Disburses payment in a timely manner
- Works with Stewardship, records pledges
- Enters contributions into database weekly
- Reconciles bank statements monthly
- Produces monthly financial statements
- Reviews and supervises yearly health insurance contracts and costs, custodial and other service contracts
- Responsible for ensuring annual audit is completed and results provided to Finance Committee, per Conference guidelines.
- Maintains and administers property and liability insurance coverage as directed by Trustees
- Administers the Pastor’s discretionary and Crisis funds, in consultation with the Pastor (gets approval from Crisis committee or Pastor, according to guidelines)
- Monitors purchases and coordinates reporting for the food pantry
- Oversees bank accounts
- Tracks and processes flower payments
- Prepares financial reports for Charge Conference and Check-out
- Attends staff meetings
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
- Works cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers, and is an effective team member
- 3 years’ accounting experience, including budgeting, payables, payroll and employee benefits.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Patient, diplomatic, ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Knowledge of ACS software preferred
Expected Hours of Work: This is a part-time position (20-24 hours/week).
How to Apply
Send resume to Rev. Gary Turner at
Contact Phone: (972) 625-1281