First UMC The Colony: Administrative Assistant
Date Posted: 7/14/2021
First UMC The Colony, The Colony, TX
Performs administrative duties within the church office in support of the function of the church, pastor(s), staff and members.
Statement of Understanding: First United Methodist Church, The Colony is a religious organization. All staff play an important role in conveying the church’s message and carrying out its mission to lead others toward Christian maturity. Staff is expected to be Christians committed to living a life that reflects the Gospel. This means we expect a higher-than-average level of discernment in your behavior, especially your public-facing behavior. Examples include, but are not limited to, posting appropriately in social media (including personal accounts); speaking thoughtfully in any public setting (church, restaurant, workplace, party or other), writing all communications carefully and respectfully, etc. Since it is not possible to include every behavioral item, as a guideline ask the question “Would this behavior or communication be appropriate for any member of the church to be aware of?” When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Senior Pastor
- Provides administrative support to the Pastor(s) and other staff
- Coordinates volunteer receptionists, training them as needed to maximize their contribution
- Maintains office files and church documentations for easy retrieval
- Keep Pastor(s) aware of members’ illnesses, etc. as that information is received
- Track or maintain the Pastor(s) calendars as needed
- Keeps office equipment in working order; notifies appropriate parties when an item is not functioning properly
- Contacts exterminator, janitor and other approved maintenance providers as needed
- Opens church email and distributes information as needed
- Updates Realm - online church management database
- Send emails or newsletters via Constant Contact
- Files and retains copies of committee meeting minutes
- Maintains keys and logs of all key-holders
- Maintains inspections and certifications
- Uses discernment in scheduling appointments for the Pastor(s)
- Serves as backup to Finance Administrator where appropriate, especially Crisis requests
- Attends staff meeting and Administrative Council meetings as required
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
- Works cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers, and is an effective team member
- Is highly flexible and “pitches in” where needed
Other Responsibilities: Administrative Assistant may delegate some responsibilities to volunteers but is ultimately responsible for:
- Handles phone calls efficiently and politely
- Takes accurate messages from calls and visitors and disseminates in a timely manner
- Uses discernment in transferring calls to the Pastor
- Provides information by answering questions and requests
- Greets persons who come into the office
- Keeps church events calendar
- Prepares mailings and correspondence
- Opens church mail and distributes as appropriate
- Keeps office supplies stocked, submitting orders as needed within budget constraints
- Tracks flower orders
- Oversees preparation of worship and special service bulletins and inserts
- Background in church administration and/or non-profit preferred.
- Patient, diplomatic, ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills, strong attention to detail, strong communication skills, ability to maintain confidentiality
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and electronic equipment.
Physical Demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some walking, filing and lifting is occasionally required.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a part-time position (30 hours/week).
Note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to Pastor Adam Young at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 214-718-3441