First UMC Searcy: Minister to Children & Their Families
Date Posted: 1/22/2019
First UMC Searcy, Searcy, AR
- Active and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ, evidenced by action, attitude and behavior.
- Fully embraces the mission, vision, purpose, values and doctrinal statement of Searcy FUMC.
- A passion for Children’s Ministry and to see families grow in their faith together.
- Have a cooperative, healthy and motivating relationship with supervisors, co-workers and volunteers.
- Proven reliability, initiative and strong work ethic.
- Bachelor’s degree. Christian Education, Early Childhood Development or Education equivalent is preferred. Divinity degree is desirable.
- Gifted in leadership, administration, shepherding and teaching/communication.
- Show evidence of passion for children’s ministry and deep commitment to faith formation of children.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of child development and understands the importance of providing a safe environment for children.
- Open and willing to attend continuing education opportunities in United Methodist and Christian Education/Children’s Ministry Studies as available through the Arkansas Conference or other outlets such as seminaries or churches.
- Provides vision and develops an integrated Children’s Ministry program that supports the vision, mission and values of Searcy FUMC.
- Provides vision and develops activities to help strengthen families.
- Provides leadership, direction and training for all Children’s Ministry volunteers.
- Oversees Children’s Ministry Sunday School, outreach events, Vacation Bible School, Wednesday evening programs and other special events.
- Implement and coordinate an age appropriate curriculum for children ages birth through 6th grade for Sunday morning and evening activities.
- Provide a children’s sermon for Sunday morning worship services.
- Collaborate with church leaders/volunteers to develop a challenging and affirming confirmation class.
- Coordinates child care for all weekly church events.
- Implement a summer children’s activity program.
- Provide educational and fellowship opportunities for parents.
- Oversees and facilitates Children’s Council meetings, as well as recruiting laity to be on Childen’s Council.
- Attends and provides support and leadership for FUMC Preschool board, quarterly.
- Encourages the spiritual and professional growth of children’s ministry team members by providing shepherding and training opportunities to enhance learning.
- Counsels with parents and leaders as necessary.
- Encourages relationships and team building by regularly communicating and meeting with Children’s Ministry leaders.
- Oversees Children’s Ministry strategic planning/goal setting, budget, records, curriculum, equipment, food, supplies and resources.
- Manages resources well, staying within Children’s Ministry budget.
- Responsible for procedures related to smooth children’s program check-in and tracking weekly attendance reports.
- Responsible for all security measures/procedures: volunteer screening and background check, as well as enforcing the Safe Sanctuaries Policy.
- Reviews, purchases and oversees implementation of curricula for large/small group teaching.
- Ensures scheduling to provide appropriate volunteer to child ratios.
- Maintains office hours and keeps office staff informed about where he/she can be reached when not on site.
- Participates in staff meeting, worship planning, ministry staff planning and additional meetings as requested by the Senior or Associate Pastor.
- Coordinates with church staff to ensure children’s activities are posted on the church calendar, in the bulletin and on the website, when appropriate.
- Reviews and evaluates progress of all programs in order to encourage and maintain standards of excellence.
- Supervises after-school-care for elementary students program, slated to begin with 2020-21 school year.
- Other duties as assigned.
Vacation: According to church employee policy.
Probationary Period: The initial 90 day period of employment shall be considered probationary. At any time during this period, the employee or the Senior Pastor, with the approval of the Staff-Parish Relations Committee, may terminate employment with or without reason.
Employment At Will: This position is considered an “at will” position. The employee or employer may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause.
Background Check: Prior to the entry on the duty date, the employee must undergo a criminal background check and sexual/harassment investigation according to Safe Sanctuary compliance.
Modification: This job description is subject to being modified as needed by the Senior Pastor in consultation with the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
How to Apply
Applicants may submit a resume by mail to Searcy First United Methodist Church, 304 North Main, Searcy, AR 72143; or by email to Senior Pastor David Orr at
Contact Phone: 501-268-5896