First UMC San Marcos: Director of Youth Ministries
Date Posted: 3/28/2018
First UMC San Marcos, San Marcos, TX
The Director of Youth Ministries at First UMC San Marcos, Texas, has primary responsibility within our church family for providing 6th through 12th grade students opportunity to initiate and/or deepen their relationship with God. The Director must have a deep faith in Jesus Christ and be committed to the United Methodist Church. He/she must have the ability to administer a growing, multifaceted youth ministry, an ability to share leadership with others, and be committed to personal growth in Christ and the ability to share that faith with others.
- Resources: The Director is responsible for all Youth Ministry resources, including physical facilities, group dynamics, leadership, curricula and communication. The Director manages the budget for youth ministries. Priority should be given to the creation of a welcoming, safe space – physical, corporate, and spiritual – where youth and ministry volunteers may encounter God and grow in their faith.
- Communication: The Director serves as the Youth Ministries contact person for FUMC, accessible to all involved in youth ministries, promoting and publicizing youth ministries through print, digital, social media and other forms of communication, and ensuring that the Youth ministries are congruent with FUMC’s mission.
- Volunteer management: The Director develops and guides the Youth Council, which should include youth and adults (including parents), chairs the YC planning meetings, and leads the YC to continually improve youth ministries. The Director recruits, qualifies, and trains teachers and adult sponsors for all youth classes, instilling excellent leadership for youth events. Most importantly, the Director will ensure that our Safety Policies are followed, taking immediate action if they are ever violated, reporting such violations to the Sr. Pastor or Assoc. Pastor.
- Ministry development: The Director is responsible for 1) leadership of the youth ministries, 2) the revitalization of ministries as needed, 3) regular evaluation of ongoing ministries’ effectiveness, 4) the development of new ministries to meet changing needs of our youth, and 5) leadership of mission and service ministries.
- Integrated ministries: The Youth Ministry is not a stand-alone ministry, but one crucial part of the entire church family’s ministries. The Director attends staff meetings, works with the Program Staff to plan and promote ministries that meet the needs of the entire congregation and encourage church growth, assists staff and church committees with daily tasks and special projects related to the Youth Ministry. The Director is liaison to the church staff and various committees as they relate to Youth Ministries, and cooperates on occasional special events.
The Director’s immediate supervisor is the Senior Pastor, and will meet regularly with the Sr. Pastor for discussion of the Youth Program. The Director is also accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee and will abide by the work expectations of the FUMC Personnel Policy and Benefit Handbook.. The Director is also a vital part of the larger staff, and will work closely with all staff members as a team. The Director and Youth Council are partners in the creation of a youth ministry of excellence. At least annually, there will be an evaluation of the Director’s performance by the Sr. Pastor, including program evaluation and goal-setting. This is a salaried position.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills Needed
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Certification in Youth Ministry preferred, or a willingness to work toward it with the church’s assistance
- Possess a strong commitment to the Christian faith, a basic understanding of United Methodist theology and church history, and support and encourage the United Methodist tradition
- Able to effectively operate office machines and operating systems
- Highly organized, self-motivated, able to work under minimal supervision and multi-task in despite disruptions
- Ability to use online resources to communicate with youth, parents, staff, the church family and others
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Able to pass a credit check and a criminal background check
- Speak fluent English
Approximately $39,000, dependent upon experience, qualifications and education.
How to Apply
Call for more information or email resume and three references to Russell Bowlin at
Contact Phone: (512) 392-6001