First UMC Plano: Contemporary Worship Leader and Community Connector
Date Posted: 6/22/2021
First UMC Plano, Plano, TX
The Contemporary Worship Leader and Community Connector is a half-time to full-time salaried position depending on skill sets and experience. At minimum, this person oversees and provides spiritual and musical leadership for the Contemporary Worship Band and Crossfire Youth Band at FUMC Plano.
In collaboration with the Worship Planning Team, the Contemporary Worship Leader plans and manages all musical components of the contemporary worship service. This includes, but not limited to, selection and arranging of music, developing and training volunteers for the Worship Band and Crossfire Youth Band, assisting in the weekly worship planning process and working collaboratively in a team setting.
In addition to leading worship, the Contemporary Worship Leader is responsible for casting vision around creative expression in the worship experience.
In a full-time position this person could also be responsible for:
- Segments of media production (e.g. livestreaming, videography, video editing, etc.)
- Youth and/or young adult discipleship
- Small group development
- Development of virtual adult education material
All of these additional responsibilities fall under our vision to “connect God and grace to self and community.”
- Coordinate music selections to anchor the contemporary worship experience.
- Recruit, develop, and schedule members of the Contemporary Worship Team – both adults and youth, both paid and volunteer.
- Work with the Minister to Youth and Families to continue development of the Crossfire Youth Band and singers for musical leadership in church.
- Research and secure appropriate copyright licenses.
- Oversight of all AV production equipment.
- Incorporate “Wesleyan width,” in song selection that includes not only personal holiness but also social holiness and justice. Uses “secular” songs that apply to the Sunday’s worship theme.
- If media and sound coordination:
- work internally to develop physical spaces more appealing for productions for online viewership, e.g. change in lighting, a room that works as a “talk show” space or “podcast” recording area;
- training of volunteers for both sound and video production and editing;
- coordinate volunteers for special events (funerals, concerts, etc.);
- assist the Director of Communications with videos that promote FUMC Plano and the life of the church.
- If also Community Connector, could also work in young adult small group formation and leadership.
Ministry Area Relationships
- Worship Team
- Music Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Commitment to the mission, vision and strategies of First United Methodist Church Plano.
- A developed spiritual life and commitment to expand that through the United Methodist Church.
- Possess excellent planning and communication skills.
- Demonstrates a high level of motivation and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrates ability to organize, manage and nurture volunteers.
- Ability to work with persons of varying musical backgrounds and levels of experience.
- Initiative-taker and team member.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to carry out several tasks simultaneously.
Supervision relationships: Lead Pastor and Director of Worship Arts
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to Rev. Matt Gaston at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 972-423-4506