First UMC Mesquite: Office Manager
Date Posted: 9/18/2018
First UMC Mesquite, Mesquite, TX
The Office Manager represents the church to visitors as well as members, serves the congregation’s day-to-day operations, prepares materials for Sunday worship and distributes information as necessary for the function of a healthy congregation.
The Office Manager serves as the primary contact person among congregational members, community members, business affiliates and all other communication with or within the congregation.
The Office Manager will be dealing with private affairs and must always maintain confidentiality.
The work overall necessitates a compassionate, patient character, helpful and respectful of all people. The tasks require functional knowledge of Microsoft Word, Power Point, Outlook and Publisher; the ability to navigate through multiple tasks at one time; and the ability to look and plan ahead.
Accountability: The office manager shall be accountable to the pastor.
General Agreement: FUMC Mesquite will provide a safe, healthy working environment with necessary office equipment and on-going training as necessary.
Provide administrative and clerical support for the pastoral staff, including but not limited to the following:
- Cordially serve as receptionist for visitors, friends and members.
- Order supplies as required and maintain an order log.
- Maintain office files and minutes of committee and Church Council meetings.
- Arrange maintenance of office equipment.
- Collect and distribute USPS mail, noting the spending category on all bills.
- Prepare and set up weekly worship materials (bulletin, power point, Scripture readings, hymnals, contemporary song sets, etc).
- Act as prayer chain contact, forwarding prayer requests to the Care Committee.
- Coordinate updates to the website and other social media with the web administrator.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence (mailings, email, etc.) as requested by pastor.
- Maintain congregation calendar and building use agreements with guest groups.
- Maintain church records.
- Coordinate and supervise office volunteers as needed.
- Other duties as discussed and agreed upon.
- Maintain a current mailing list and directory of members and friends.
- Maintain up-to-date household information in church management software.
- Maintain the membership register in partnership with the pastor.
- Prepare additional records and reports as requested by pastor or church council.
- Schedule meetings at committee request to avoid building use conflicts.
- Maintain a list of current committee members and elected positions within the congregation.
- Prepare mailings, reports and materials for church meetings.
- Prepare reports for church council as requested by pastor.
- Aid in communication between council, committee chairs, and guest groups.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and web-based communication. With training, become proficient in the use of church management software and website interface.
- Enthusiastic and possess a positive outlook towards others.
- Able to lift 25 pounds.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Compensation: $13 per hour and the work week will be 30 hours (Monday through Thursday. Leave time will be accrued after completion of a probationary period of 90-days.
How to Apply
Submit resume to Pastor Tom Palmer by mail (P.O. Box 852909, Mesquite, TX 75185-2909) or email at
Contact Phone: (972) 285-5456