First UMC Marble Falls: Director of Children's Ministry
Date Posted: 10/10/2019
First UMC Marble Falls, Marble Falls, TX
The Director envisions, develops and nurtures programs that minister to the spiritual growth and needs of children and their families within the FUMC Marble Falls’ congregation and outward within the Marble Falls community. These ministries result in children and their families experiencing God’s love, sharing God’s love and growing closer to Jesus Christ in accordance with the Scriptures in the Bible.
Accountable to Senior Pastor
Qualifications and Skills
- Preferably Bachelor's Degree in Christian Education (or a related field), or Certification in Christian Education with at least two years directly applicable experience with children and pre-teens.
- Develops an intentional ministry plan for guiding and encouraging children and their families as they grow in love of God and neighbor.
- Includes strategies in this ministry plan that embraces specifics for recruiting and supporting volunteers, enriching family faith formation, and connecting with the community.
- Displays expertise in developing relationships with children and guiding them using affirming, encouraging, and positive discipline techniques and by being a positive role model and mentor within the First United Methodist Church, Marble Falls and the Marble Falls community.
- Is experienced in public speaking, has excellent verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills, and the ability to multi-task.
- Shows evidence of being a cooperative team member, of having effective organizational skills, of delegating responsibilities appropriately, and of conducting thorough evaluations.
- Manages conflicts effectively among all stakeholders while honoring and respecting diversity.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the Christian faith and ensures that children’s ministries align with United Methodist tradition with an emphasis on nurturing children and families in faith formation.
- Able to plan and implement meaningful worship experiences (that may include music, children's messages, skits, etc.) that recruit and retain the interests of children and preteens.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Complies with and coordinates the Safe Gathering Program, ensuring that all volunteers and staff members working with children for all events have fulfilled requirements (including Texas driver’s license and background checks).
- Actively participate in the planning and implementation of children’s ministries, programs and events. For all specific areas of ministry, responsibilities include communication and promotion with young families, volunteer recruitment, communication and training, curriculum research and selection, maintenance of appropriate records, and ordering, stocking and inventorying of educational materials and supplies.
- Sunday Morning Ministries
- Sunday School for preschool age to 5th grade.
- Kid's Church - worship and teaching service for children ages 5-11 held during worship.
- Current Children’s Weekday and Summer Ministries
- Block Party - mid-week large & small group educational and worship events for grades K-5th. Added areas of responsibilities include administrative forms and coordination of transportation.
- Vacation Bible School - primary support for FUMC Marble Falls lay leader. Added areas of responsibility include publicity and promotion with the church and community, administrative forms, and coordination of transportation from daycare.
- Bluebonnet Preschool - Develop relationships with Bluebonnet Preschool children and their families, serve as an ex officio member on the Bluebonnet Board, and coordinate chapel devotionals and birthday blessings for these preschool children.
- Summer Camp and Summer Mission Camp - plan, coordinate and transport as needed utilizing church vehicles.
- Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop, in participation with the FUMC Marble Falls Welcoming Committee, an intentional welcoming process/program for visiting families with young children.
- Connect with families, extending past the church walls, reaching out to families in the community and creating a presence in the community through: support for Children’s Day in the Park-Marble Falls and other community events. Organize parenting classes with emphasis on family faith formation.
- Attend FUMC Marble Falls weekly staff meetings, serve as staff liaison for Children's Education Committee and manage budget and expenses for Children's Ministry in coordination with the business manager.
- Supervise the paid staff of Children's Ministry and perform other duties deemed necessary by staff and membership of FUMC Marble Falls.
How to Apply
submit a resume to Mary Ann Fletcher at