First UMC Garland: Learning Academy Director of Student Education
Date Posted: 2/18/2020
First UMC Garland, Garland, TX
Responsible for cooperatively working with the Director of Administration in developing and implementing a program of activities that promotes the social, cognitive, emotional and physical development of each child enrolled in the class.
Supervision: Learning Academy Board and the Director of Children’s & Family Ministries
Employer paid benefits: Vacation, Insurance (as needed), Sick Leave and Designated Holidays. Full time benefits outlined in the Learning Academy FUMC Operational/Personnel Policies. 40 hours weekly. Salaried.
Expectations: We model the Christian faith and the Christian life. As staff, we set the tone and pace and have a significant role in shaping the heart and character of this school.
- Active in the life of a church, prays with and for others
- Relates joyfully and sensitively to children
- Values diversity
- Respects and encourages others
- Works cooperatively with others
- Models strong organizational skills
- Professional appearance
- Constructive conflict resolution
- Efficient time management
- Servant leader
- Builds trust via appropriate professional relationships
- Works cooperatively with the Director of Administration in planning long-term and short-term goals and objectives that meet all standards outlined by the various licensing agencies that maintains the operation of the school.
- Leads efforts, with the Director of Administration, to maintain & grow student enrollment. Will give tours and respond to all inquiries regarding developmental stages of education.
- Facilitates staff selection, compensation, orientation, supervision and evaluation processes. Expresses high expectations and provides support to improve staff performance.
- Maintains a system of following up on duties as assigned or delegated to staff.
- Will attend and when appropriate lead internal and external events that promote the school.
- Adheres to the board-approved budget for assigned areas of responsibility including but not limited to of continuing education, teaching supplies, curriculum and resources.
- Serves as a non-voting member of the Learning Academy Board. Upholds board policies. Implements school and church administrative guidelines and procedures.
- Selects, implements, and evaluates curriculum. Obtains instructional materials and equipment. Observes, advises and corrects teaching staff on all classroom and curriculum execution of standards.
- Implements the structured elements of Christian nurture at the direction of the Director of Children’s & Family Ministries
- Plan and direct Christmas program, end of year program and additional special events.
- Assists in creating learning plans for students with academic, behavioral or developmental concerns.
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Administration to open and close facilities.
- Plans effective staff development programs that improve teaching outcomes and student learning. Coordinates regular teacher planning meetings.
- Promotes the continuity of the instructional program. Provides insights about student skill progression and oversees student assessment.
- Utilizes positive behavior reinforcement tools with a Christ-centered, positive, consistent approach.
- Develop and accommodate Early Intervention improvements in student achievement.
- Maintains good communication with parents. Participates in parent conferences and student planning meetings as needed to communicate expectations and provide guidance.
- Helps staff identify and maintain high expectations for age appropriate behavior and performance. Helps with pupil management issues.
- Pursues growth opportunities that enhance professional performance and advance ministry goals.
- Performs other specific job-related duties as directed by the Learning Academy Board and the Director of Children’s & Family Ministries.
- Bachelor degree or higher in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- Meets minimum state qualifications for a Director’s License in the state of Texas with the intent to file when hired.
- Cleared state fingerprinting, Ministry Safe training, and church background check.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in early childhood education.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and computer skills.
- Effective communication skills including active listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal and writing skills.
How to Apply
Email resume to Rev. Caroline Noll at
Contact Phone: 972-272-3471