First UMC Garland: Director of Learning Academy
Date Posted: 1/2/2019
First UMC Garland, Garland, TX
Our ideal candidate should have experience in administration in a licensed child care program. The Director shall have a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education (or related field) or other accepted combination of education and experience as set forth by the DFPS standards for child care centers.
The Director will supervise the day to day operations of the program and report to the Pastor for Children & Families and the Board of Weekday Ministries. The Director’s job is a year-round position. Hours are variable. Salary negotiable based on experience.
The Learning Academy is a ministry of the church, and as such the Director needs to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- The Director is responsible for the success of the preschool and childcare programs.
- Create the mission statement of the preschool and make sure the mission is implemented.
- Assure compliance with applicable State Licensing Child Care regulations.
- Prepare periodic reports on status of the preschool program to the Pastor for Children & Families and the Board of Weekday Ministries.
- Establish and maintain an “open door” policy with all parents and the community.
- Prepare and maintain the Learning Academy Handbooks containing policies and procedures for both families and employees.
- Participate in professional development workshops and organizations.
- Maintain student information (registrations, parental contacts, and medical records).
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Pastor for Children & Families.
- Hire qualified staff to run an effective preschool program in compliance with the State of Texas regulations.
- Supervise and formally evaluate the preschool staff on an annual basis.
- Plan and provide staff development training.
- Hold staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with teachers to plan instructional activities and monitor lesson plans.
- Monitor the implementation of the preschool curriculum.
- Supervise the organization and maintenance of instructional equipment and supplies.
- Identify, communicate, and address the educational needs of all preschool students.
- Monitor the safety of students, staff and facilities.
- Inspect, on a regular basis, the equipment and play areas to ensure safety and cleanliness.
- Review safety issues and procedures at each staff meeting.
- Ensure that all staff are CPR and First Aid certified.
- Encourage and recognize excellent performance of students and staff.
- Nurture a positive environment conducive to achievement of church, academic and community goals.
- Incorporate mutual respect and high expectations when working with parents, staff and students.
- Develop and maintain an annual budget in cooperation with Pastor for Children & Families and the Chair of the Weekday Ministry Board.
- Prepare financial statements on a monthly basis and present the financial status to the Pastor for children & families.
How to Apply
Email a letter of introduction and resume to Director of Children's and Family Ministries Caroline Noll at
Contact Phone: 972-272-3471