First UMC Evanston: Director of Children's Ministry
Date Posted: 2/14/2020
First UMC Evanston, Evanston, IL
First United Methodist Church of Evanston, Ill., is seeking a full-time Director of Children’s Ministry.
The primary responsibility of the position is to help families and children create and nurture a community of Christians who grow in their relationship with God. Ideal for this role would be a self-motivated, highly relational, well-organized, welcoming leader who loves and embraces families of all shapes, sizes and styles.
First Church has an established approach to discipleship that greatly values team collaboration, clear communication and thoughtful innovation when it comes to investing in the children and families of Evanston.
- Nurture a safe spiritual environment for infants through children in 6th grade
- Coordinate current ministry programs and events, evaluating effectiveness and proposing change when there is opportunity for improvement
- Create systems to facilitate the recruitment, training and recognition of volunteers
- Supervise, support and schedule paid children’s ministry staff
- Oversee attendance records and database management within this ministry area, and lead the evaluation of program participation, trends and needs
- Follow-up with new families that attend First Church in collaboration with the Director of Membership and Visitor Connections.
- Assess and revise the program’s vision, goals and curriculum through teacher, children, volunteer and family input, ensuring alignment with First Church’s identity as a Reconciling Congregation of the United Methodist Church.
- Maintain social media presence for this ministry area in collaboration with the Communications Director.
- Master’s Degree is preferred, undergraduate degree is required (preference will be given to those with degrees in early or elementary childhood education, biblical and theological studies.)
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the beliefs, faith and practice of the United Methodist Church. (preference will be given to those with experience in children’s ministry and/or progress toward United Methodist Certification in Children’s Ministry.)
- Proficient in current Microsoft Office technology (e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Willingness to learn the church’s database, Realm, and communications technologies
- Experience in promoting ministry through social media platforms
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to Renee Wilson at
Contact Phone: 877-462-5718