First UMC Dickinson: Director of Music and Worship
Date Posted: 8/5/2019
First UMC Dickinson, Dickinson, TX
Dickinson First United Methodist Church (“Dickinson First”) is a 140-year-old, 1,000 member church filled with talented, passionate and caring people with a heart for ministry and mission. Dickinson First is located 20 miles south of Houston on Interstate 45, and 20 miles north of the coastal city of Galveston. Dickinson is a mid-sized, historical community with quick access to the cultural and big-city amenities of Houston, NASA and the Houston Medical Center. Dickinson is close to sandy beaches, sailing, surfing, swimming and excellent fishing.
VISION STATEMENT OF DICKINSON FIRST: “Real people - Real purpose - Real God - Life Under the Cross”
SCOPE OF MINISTRY POSITION: The Director of Music and Worship shall be responsible for the planning, coordinating and overseeing of the Music and Worship Ministry, with a goal of creating an excellent, God-centered, worship experience.
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music or Music Education, or equivalent degree in Worship and Fine Arts. A Master’s Degree in Music, Music Education and/or Worship is a plus, as is experience in other visual, dramatic or related arts. Choral conducting ability and a demonstrated ability to lead a contemporary praise ensemble are required, and the applicant must be proficient in at least one musical instrument (e.g., piano, guitar, or lead vocalist).
EXPERIENCE: Experience with both traditional and contemporary musical genres is required, as well as experience directing traditional church choirs and contemporary praise ensembles.
The Director of Music and Worship shall report to the Senior Pastor and provide leadership, coordination and accountability for all ensembles that make up Dickinson First’s Music and Worship Ministry.
- Directing the Chancel Choir and congregation during the traditional worship service each Sunday
- Leading the Praise & Worship Team during the contemporary service each Sunday
- Directing the Handbell Choir, which performs regularly in the traditional worship service
- Rehearsing the Chancel Choir, Praise & Worship Team, and Handbell Choir on a weekly basis
- Overseeing the quality and readiness of all musical groups
- Reviewing and selecting music applicable to the season, worship series or special occasion (e.g., Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, cantatas, music & drama, etc.)
- Selecting, rehearsing and preparing special music by performing groups for worship on a regular basis
- Developing, in conjunction with ministers and worship team, a framework for all worship experiences and assisting pastors and ministry teams in presenting the Gospel in a way that transforms hearts and lives and serves the spiritual needs of the congregation
- Developing working relationships with current church musicians (choral and instrumental) and actively inviting and attracting new musicians to the music program
- Cultivating talent for different expressions of worship arts to build a strong sense of community among all musicians, ministers, and worship participants
- Encouraging and affirming all worship participants to use their spiritual gifts to glorify and worship God
- Creatively connecting with current worship team members, congregation and encouraging emerging generations to attend church and become active participants in personal discipleship and in the life of the church
- Assisting with recruiting, training, and scheduling worship technicians (e.g., sound, visual, lighting, etc.)
- Maintaining the church’s musical instruments and equipment or knowledge of who to contact for maintenance
- Arranging and providing (or make arrangements for) music for weddings, funerals, and church celebrations
- Collaborating with community musical groups, schools, and or other churches to build unity among people for common purposes and good causes
- Attending staff meetings and church leadership meetings (e.g., Church Council, Worship Planning, etc.) as required
- Working with the Church Administrator in establishing and maintaining an appropriate music budget
- Exhibit a strong faith and belief in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit
- Be a disciple of Jesus Christ with a mature faith and a passion to lead others to become disciples of Christ
- Demonstrate strong team and talent building, communication and organizational skills
- Know and support the vision, mission and values and participate in the life of Dickinson First
- Possess strong people skills and have the ability to work well with people of all ages and musical skill levels
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and passion for ministry area
- Be proficient in, or willing to learn to use, Planning Center, ProPresenter and ShelbyNext to plan, calendar, structure and present Sunday worship
- Have working knowledge of digital and analog soundboards and other live and/or production equipment
POSITION RELATIONSHIPS: Senior and Associate Pastors, Church Staff, Communications (audio and visual), all church musicians (choral and instrumental), Youth Choir Director, Orchestra Director, Heavenly Hosts (altar guild), Staff Parish Relations Committee, Worship Committee, Church Council.
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, a resume and links to any videos of you leading worship and/or directing a choir by Sept. 13 to
Contact Phone: 281-794-5628