First UMC Denton: Director of Music and Worship
Date Posted: 12/11/2019
First UMC Denton, Denton, TX
First United Methodist Church of Denton, a church celebrating over 160 years in a college community renowned for its musical diversity and talent, is seeking a Director of Music and Worship to provide leadership to the Worship Planning team in creating and presenting meaningful worship opportunities for the congregation.
The Music and Worship ministry of FUMC Denton features diverse worship service styles and engages talented professionals and laypersons in a broad range of music including classical, gospel, jazz and modern Contemporary Christian genres. The Director supervises, directly or indirectly, all choirs (adult, youth, children), handbell choirs and the praise and worship bands.
- Bachelor’s degree in music (preferably with choral conducting emphasis) required; Master’s degree in music preferred
- Significant experience in directing volunteer choral ensembles
- Significant experience in planning and leading traditional worship
- Keyboard skills in multiple musical genres desired, with sufficient keyboard (piano) skills to effectively lead rehearsals
- Skill at choral and instrumental music composition and arranging
- Demonstrable recruitment skills
- Broad historical knowledge of sacred choral music
- Fluency in Finale or Sibelius, MS Office, multi-media worship and other software
- Knowledge of church audio and video technology systems
- Competence in music diction (esp. Latin, German, French, Spanish)
In collaboration with the Worship Planning team, plan, coordinate, and implement the overall vision of the music and worship ministries of the congregation. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Lead the worship planning team in weekly meetings, to plan services for the congregation.
- Maintain an annual schedule of worship participation for all performing ensembles and AV technicians.
- Conduct the adult Chancel Choir, Men’s Ensemble, and Chamber Singers; recruiting new participants. Supervise the maintenance of membership databases and care of choir robes.
- Schedule concerts and events that build an atmosphere of teamwork including fundraising events, presentation of major choral masterpieces, production of theatrical events and social activities.
- Supervise the organist, children’s choir director, youth choir director, handbell director, jazz service worship leader, adult choir section leaders, music librarian, and AV technicians. Supervise the Director of the church’s Fine Arts Academy and serve on its advisory board. Coordinate with each of these leaders in planning an annual schedule of worship participation.
- Supervise maintenance and expansion of music library, ensuring full compliance with copyright law.
- Formulate and maintain the Music and Worship ministry budgets. Oversee payroll for professional musicians and AV technicians.
- Lead the Ford-Marcy Foundation committee and other endowment fund sources in the planning, implementation, and accounting of the expenditure of annual distributions from those musical endowments.
- Hire additional musicians and AV technicians as needed for Sunday services, high holiday services, memorial services, and weddings including submission of required paperwork to the Business Administrator.
- Coordinate with the Director of Marketing and Communications to produce media presentation materials for traditional and jazz worship, including weekly bulletins for those services. Maintain and supplement the associated database of hymns, worship songs and video loops used in worship.
- Oversee operation and maintenance of AV systems in the Sanctuary, Monroe worship space and Cole Chapel.
- Oversee maintenance of principal musical instruments, including the Sanctuary pipe organ, concert grand piano and other pianos, organs, and drum kits elsewhere on the campus.
- Maintain an open, positive relationship with the faculty and administration of the College of Music at the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University, actively seeking collaborative projects with both entities.
- Demonstrate a willingness to create new performing groups from within the congregation as warranted.
The Director of Music and Worship must be a committed Christian who models faithful living and a person who exhibits humility, teachability, accountability and servant leadership in all relationships. The Director of Music and Worship must lead in a way that supports the mission, vision and ministries of the United Methodist Church.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. FUMC Denton offers a competitive salary between $65,000 and $75,000 that is commensurate with experience.
- Paid Personal Time Off (PTO)
- Health Insurance with HSA account, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 403-b Pension Account
- Flexible [weekday] schedule
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send resumes to Business Manager Alan Heath.
Interviews will be scheduled in January. Candidates chosen for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples, examples follow:
*Copies of performances by choral ensembles (MP3 file format or video), preferably mixed choirs, women’s choirs, and men’s choirs
*Copies of choral compositions/arrangements
*Digital copies or links to publications in professional journals, especially items published in church music/worship publication
Contact Phone: 903-456-0282