First UMC Denton: Director/Associate Pastor of Youth Ministry
Date Posted: 9/4/2019
First UMC Denton, Denton, TX
The Director of Youth Ministry must be an enthusiastic person who has a passion for leading youth to become disciples of Jesus Christ. The youth program is dynamic and growing, with numbers upwards of 75 active youth involved in Youth Council, worship, missions, year-round retreats, Sunday School and Sunday and Wednesday evening programs. FUMC youth are committed to including all people, sharing God’s love, learning, worshiping, praying, singing and playing together and reaching out to those in need.
The Director of Youth Ministry must be a committed Christian who models faithful living and a person who exhibits humility, teachability, accountability and servant leadership in all relationships. The Director of Youth Ministry must lead in a way that supports the mission, vision and ministries of First United Methodist Church of Denton.
- Significant experience working with youth – including diverse and special needs students and their families
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry program
- Pastoral counseling experience highly desirable
- Ability to relate well and develop strong relationships with youth and their families
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, relationship and conflict management skills, be highly flexible, and have the ability to work as a member of a team
- Must have a skill set that includes a wide variety of recruiting strategies effective with youth and adult volunteers
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in multiple methods of media communication including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Collaborate with clergy, staff, and laity to carry out the church’s mission, vision, and ministry particularly as it relates to youth and their families
- Participate in weekly staff and worship planning team meetings as a representative of the youth program, and to ensure the inclusion of youth in the worship life of the congregation
- Cultivate and communicate the value of the youth ministry program to the church and the community
- Develop and administer all budgets related to youth programming and staffing – including discretionary funds
- Recruit and supervise youth staff, adult youth counselors, youth Sunday School teachers, and other youth volunteers while offering support, training, and retention
- Oversee publication of all activities for youth (including District and Conference) events as appropriate
- Work with Conference staff to write curriculum and direct youth camps and Bible retreats
- Select, obtain, and create curriculum for Sunday School youth programs, including the Confirmation program, and adapting programming for special needs students
- Direct special programs and events – human sexuality seminars, mission trips, retreats, etc.
- Coordinate the youth program with the Credo Youth Choir, and with Council on Ministries to include youth volunteers in major church events
- Additional duties will be assigned for clergy - assist in worship leadership, liturgy, preaching, and administering the sacraments
- This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. FUMC offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Health Insurance with HSA account, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Flexible (weekday) schedule
- Pension with church matching
How to Apply
Email resumes to Business Administrator Alan Heath. Candidates chosen for an interview should be prepared to send work samples.
Contact Phone: 903-456-0282