Custer Road UMC: Director of Finance
Date Posted: 9/1/2022
Custer Road UMC, Plano, TX
The Director of Finance at Custer Road UMC shall be a person of genuine and deepening Christian character, willing to grow as a loyal participant of a ministry team, able to work and communicate well and cultivate trust with other people in a growing congregation.
The purpose of the Director of Finance is a key leadership position of the church which requires a close working relationship with the CFO, Senior Minister, Committee on Finance, Endowment Committee and other members of the finance team. The Director of Finance will provide necessary oversight, management and leadership in the areas of finance, financial reporting, internal control, auditing, general accounting, human resource administration, stewardship and other similar areas to ensure complete integrity and accountability over all church resources.
Staff Supervision: Reports to the CFO.
In conformity with Custer Road’s policies and procedures as well as those contained in the United Methodist Book of Discipline, the position responsibilities will include as generally described below, but may not be limited to the following:
- Oversees finance staff to insure the highest integrity in the receipt, disbursement, record keeping and storage of all church financial resources and records.
- Prepare and provide clear, transparent, thorough, financial statements/reports timely and accurately each month to the appropriate people and committees.
- Manage and enforce CRUMC’s system of internal controls to protect the assets and resources of the church.
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of the annual financial audit.
- Assist the Finance Committee in any and all Stewardship efforts.
- Ensure that all donations, receipts and accounts are accurately and properly accounted for and maintained. Communicate accurate donation records to donors.
- Oversee all aspects of stock donations.
- Ensure all designated funds are accurately and properly accounted for and maintained.
- Oversee payroll functions and assist as necessary.
- Oversee billing/collections to cell site carriers and separate legal entity ministries of CRUMC.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff and appropriate committee meetings as required.
- Assist the CFO, Finance Committee Chair and Endowment Committee Chair as needed.
- Ensure financial systems and programs are working properly and report issues as appropriate.
- Cross train with finance staff to ensure stable sustainable operations in the finance area.
- Attend and recommend appropriate training courses as needed.
- Provide and recommend policy and procedure changes for the finance department.
- Assist in Charge Conference, Check Out Day and other reporting to the North Central District and/or North Texas Conference.
- Must be a person of deep Christian faith and integrity
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree, CPA with 5-7 years of experience in a church or non-profit organization
- Preferred experience in Arena and Next Financials
- Ability to multi-task and adapt in an ever-changing environment
- Must have great organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Able to maintain confidentiality and practice discretion in all communications
- Positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to handle conflict with grace
Top Reasons to Work with Us:
- Custer Road is a large church that is stable and growing.
- Collaborative teams that embrace people from other cultures.
- Ministry and professional growth.
- Great workplace and ministry environment.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and three professional references to Kendra Trautman, Executive Director of Operations and CFO, at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 972-618-3450