Custer Road UMC: Director of Children's Ministry
Date Posted: 8/15/2023
Custer Road UMC, Plano, TX
The Director of Children’s Ministry at Custer Road United Methodist Church (CRUMC) shall be a person of genuine and deepening Christian character, willing to grow as a loyal participant of a ministry team, able to work, communicate well, and cultivate trust with children, parents and other staff members.
The purpose of the Director of Children’s Ministry is to provide leadership oversight and strategic direction to children’s ministry, while supervising all programming and operations for children from birth to 5th grade, with the aim to create a vibrant ministry with opportunities for parent engagement, volunteering, educational trainings, attendance growth, and involvement of kids in the life of the church.
Hours: The Director of Children’s Ministry position will be governed by Custer Road UMC’s Employee Handbook and is a full-time position classified under the ministerial exception. The expected time commitment for this position will be 40 hours per week. Additional hours may be needed from time to time. This person will be expected to work on Sunday.
Staff Supervision: Reports to the Executive Minister
In conformity with CRUMC’s policies and procedures, as well as those contained in the United Methodist Book of Discipline, the position responsibilities will include those generally described below, but may not be limited to the following:
Leadership oversight & strategic direction
- Develop a 3 to 5-year vision plan for all Children’s Ministry (birth – 5th grade), where goals are aligned with, and in support of, the overarching vision of the church and that is part of a life-long discipleship formation strategy
- Oversee and direct all aspects of a dynamic Children’s Ministry among elementary students including a worship experience on Sunday mornings
- Support church-wide initiatives through Children’s Ministry
- Oversee and conduct Children's Council meetings
- Serve as the Children’s Ministry representative on the Custer Road Christian Day School (CRCDS) Advisory Board and participate in leading or co-leading chapel for the CRCDS
- Provide supervisory leadership, direction and oversight for the Children’s Ministry staff team and volunteers
- Create a culture where volunteers love to serve through leading the development and implementation of ongoing and effective volunteer recruiting, orientation, placement, onboarding, and training
- Develop a strategy to reach new kids in our surrounding schools and community through involvement with CRUMC Missions, CRCDS, and Friday NITE Friends
- Develop timely and effective follow up procedures for guests and new members
- Develop and oversee special events for children and families including Vacation Bible School and CR Kids en Espanol
- Lead children’s message in traditional Sunday worship services
- Develop resources and programs to support parents and communicate with parents consistently
- Maintain a standard of careful stewardship which includes accurate budgeting and timely deposits of Sunday school offerings
- Regularly review and update children’s policies.
- Attend appropriate meetings including children’s ministries staff, general staff, and other church meetings
- Communicate the needs of the program and cast vision to executive leadership and key volunteers
- Bachelor degree and five+ years of professional experience working with children in a church or school setting.
- Must be a person of deep personal Christian faith and integrity.
- Biblically grounded in their faith as a follower of Jesus Christ.
- Culturally Competent.
- Candidate must possess qualities/characteristics of:
- Excellent communication in both verbal and written form.
- Leadership - able to lead others, whether children, volunteers, staff, etc.
- Positive and affirming attitude.
- Is a self-starter and experienced project manager.
- Organized and demonstrates common sense.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks congruently
- Ability to complete projects in a timely manner
- Must be able to keep confidentiality and present one’s self professionally at all times.
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Office Suite
- Required to be onsite Sunday morning and attend weekly staff and Children’s Ministry team meetings.
- Strong interpersonal skills and teachable.
- Ability to innovate, initiate, organize, complete, and follow up on applicable project work.
- Able to creatively problem-solve if issues arise.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and practice discretion in all communications.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and three professional references to Rev. Dr. David Rangel at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 972-618-3450