Custer Road UMC: Coordinator of Children's Ministry
Date Posted: 7/3/2018
Custer Road UMC, Plano, TX
This Coordinator is directly responsible for the coordination and implementation of the K-5th grade Sunday School program in addition to other children’s ministry responsibilities across children’s program levels. This includes volunteer recruitment and training, resources, scheduling and publicity, developing and conducting programs for children that foster religious instruction and encourages Christian fellowship while sharing the basic functions of ministry, teamwork, and leadership training.
Hours: The Coordinator of Children’s Ministry is a part-time employee and is governed by CRUMC’s Human Resource Policies and Procedures. The expected time commitment for this position will be 25 hours per week. Additional hours may be needed from time to time. This candidate will be expected to work on Sunday mornings.
Staff Supervision: Reports to the Director of Children’s Ministry. This Coordinator supervises Sunday morning program support staff and works as a team with other staff in Children’s Ministry, the CRUMC Children’s Council, and the Education Ministries team.
- Recruit, train, schedule, empower and oversee volunteers
- Primarily oversee Sunday morning elementary support staff
- Assist Director of Children’s Ministry to determine age-appropriate curriculum and supply needs for elementary classes and programs
- Execute timely delivery of lesson content to volunteers while ensuring volunteers have received, read, understand, and are prepared to teach the lesson.
- Plan and execute a large group worship experience during all service hours for elementary aged students.
- Monitor class size as related to the classroom space and number of adult volunteers to comply with Ministry Safe standards
- Serve as the elementary children’s liaison for worship service participation and involvement
- Assist Director of Children’s Ministry with all program communications and publicity
- Oversee collection and deposit offerings of Elementary Sunday School classes
- Troubleshoot and oversee the automated check-in process for elementary programs
- Assist with the development and maintenance of yearly Children’s Ministry budget
- Assist Director of Children’s Ministry with the implementation of ongoing events such as Mission Possible Kids, EPIC Saturday, Detour events, and children’s small groups.
- Assist Director of Children’s Ministry to implement seasonal events such as Vacation Bible School (VBS), summer camps, 3rd grade Bible presentation, Camp Big Church, Family Camp, holiday events, etc.
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Bachelor degree preferred and/or three+ years of professional experience working with children in a church or school setting
- Biblically grounded in their faith as a follower of Jesus Christ
- Cares deeply for mentoring children's spiritual journeys
- Ability to help volunteers across generations find ways to use their spiritual gifts with children
- Candidate must possess qualities/characteristics of:
- Excellent communication in both verbal and written form
- Leadership- able to lead other, whether children, volunteers, staff, etc.
- Positive and affirming attitude
- Is a self-starter and experienced project manager
- Organized and demonstrates common sense
- Must be able to keep confidentiality and present one’s self professionally at all times
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office
- Comfortable using social media as a communications and outreach tool
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the Director of Children's Ministry Heather Hammer at
Contact Phone: (972) 618-3450