Christ UMC Plano: Director of Music Ministries
Date Posted: 3/25/2022
Christ UMC Plano, Plano, TX
Christ UMC Plano is a 5,000-member church filled with talented, passionate, caring people with a heart for ministry and mission.
The Music ministries of Christ United feature diverse worship service styles and engage talented professionals and laypersons in a broad range of music genres including traditional liturgical, classical, gospel, jazz and contemporary songs performed by our Adult, Youth and Children’s Choirs and other instrumentalists including full orchestras, jazz ensembles, piano, organ and more.
The sanctuary instruments include a 4 manual, 90 rank Reuter Pipe Organ, installed in 2010, voiced in American Classic/Symphonic style, and a Steinway Hamburg Concert Grand Piano.
The Director of Music Ministries is responsible for supporting the mission and vision of Christ United by developing, coordinating and implementing a comprehensive music ministry, while supporting vibrant and transformative congregational worship. The Director supervises, directly or indirectly, all choirs and reports to the Senior Pastor.
- Promote the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministries.
- Work with the Senior Pastor to plan and implement music for Sunday morning worship so that the congregation has the opportunity to experience God’s presence in powerful ways through singing and hearing a variety of styles of music in worship.
- Direct/oversee elements of worship, including order of worship, audiovisual production, and worship elements (e.g., communion, baptism, ashes, candles, etc.), in consultation with the Senior Pastor and supported by staff and volunteers.
- Conduct music and lead congregational singing for Sunday morning traditional services and other special services.
- Direct and conduct rehearsals for the adult choir and ensure adult choir participation in worship services throughout the year.
- Work with the pastoral team to plan and implement special services and music events, including, but not limited to, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and mid-week Lenten and Advent services.
- Provide vocal leadership and musical participation experiences for all ages including: youth and children’s choirs, hand bell choir, and all other special ensembles.
- Supervise music and worship staff including youth and children’s choir directors, organist, accompanists, audiovisual coordinator, and administrative assistant.
- Work collaboratively with worship leaders from Christ United’s Modern Worship service.
- Build relationships within the congregation in order to actively invite and attract new volunteer musicians (choral and instrumental) to the music program.
- Encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic, and technical gifts of music program volunteers.
- Collaborate with the Children’s and Youth Ministries when youth and children’s choirs sing in Sunday services.
- Organize a variety of musical presentations during regular worship services and other special services, including soloists, small groups, instrumentalists, etc.
- Ensure organ and/or piano accompaniments are available for worship services, including for funerals and weddings.
- Coordinate worship committee meetings, and attend weekly senior staff, all-staff, and worship planning meetings.
- Oversee the production of worship bulletins.
- Develop and maintain a suitable and substantive music library, following copyright law.
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule for organ and pianos.
- Work within an annually approved music budget.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree in music required; Master’s degree in music preferred (preferably with choral conducting emphasis).
- Familiarity with Wesleyan theology and the Wesleyan choral heritage.
- Significant experience in directing volunteer choral ensembles.
- Significant experience in planning and leading traditional worship.
- Choral and instrumental music composition and arranging experience preferred.
- Broad knowledge of sacred worship music from classical to contemporary.
- Ability to select music that enhances worship and incorporates a variety of music genres.
- Ability to teach people with varying degrees of musical knowledge.
- Skillful playing of piano.
- Ability to vocally lead the congregation.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Christ United offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to Kim Hill, Executive Director, at
Candidates selected for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples such as:
*Copies of performances by choral ensembles (video preferred).
*Copies of choral compositions/arrangements.
*Digital copies or links to professional journals, especially items published in church music/worship publications.
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 214-533-1136