Christ UMC Plano: Director of Music and Worship Ministries
Date Posted: 9/24/2019
Christ UMC Plano, Plano, TX
Christ United Methodist Church, Plano (Christ United) is a 5,000-member church filled with talented, passionate, caring people with a heart for ministry and mission. The Music and Worship ministry of Christ United features diverse worship service styles and engages talented professionals and laypersons in a broad range of music genres including traditional liturgical, classical, gospel, jazz and contemporary songs performed by our Adult, Youth and Children’s Choirs and other instrumentalists including full orchestras, jazz ensembles, piano, organ, and more.
The sanctuary instruments include a 4 manual, 90 rank Reuter Pipe Organ, installed in 2010, voiced in American Classic/Symphonic style, and a Steinway Hamburg Concert Grand Piano.
The Director of Music and Worship Ministries will be responsible for casting the mission and vision of Christ United by developing, coordinating and implementing a comprehensive music ministry, while supporting vibrant and transformative congregational worship. The Director supervises, directly or indirectly, all choirs and reports to the Senior Minister.
- Promote the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministry.
- Work with the preaching pastor to plan and implement music for Sunday morning worship so that the congregation has the opportunity to experience God’s presence in powerful ways through singing and hearing music in worship.
- Conduct music and lead congregational singing for Sunday morning traditional services and other special services.
- Direct and conduct rehearsals for the adult choir and ensure adult choir participation in worship services throughout the year.
- Work with the pastor(s) to plan and implement special services and music events, including, but not limited to, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and mid-week Lenten and Advent services.
- Provide vocal leadership and musical participation experiences for all ages including: youth and children’s choirs, handbell choirs, Men’s Chorus, and all other special ensembles.
- Supervise music staff including youth and children’s choir directors, organist, accompanists, and administrative assistant.
- Work collaboratively with worship leaders and musicians from Christ United’s modern worship service, Table of Grace.
- Build relationships within the congregation in order to actively invite and attract new volunteer musicians (choral and instrumental) to the music program.
- Encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic and technical gifts of music program volunteers.
- Work with the Children’s Ministry and Youth Ministry to schedule youth and children’s choirs in Sunday services.
- Organize special music presentations during regular worship services and other special services, including soloist, small groups, instrumentalists, etc.
- Ensure organ and/or piano accompaniments are available for worship services.
- Provide support for Vacation Bible School.
- Attend worship committee meetings.
- Attend weekly staff and worship planning meetings.
- Communicate worship order information to the pastoral administrative assistant for inclusion in the weekly bulletin.
- Develop and maintain a suitable and substantive music library, following copyright law.
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule with reputable tuners for organ and pianos.
- Work within an annually approved music budget.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree in music (preferably with choral conducting emphasis) required; Master’s degree in music preferred.
- Familiarity with Wesleyan theology and the Wesleyan choral heritage.
- Significant experience in directing volunteer choral ensembles.
- Significant experience in planning and leading traditional worship.
- Skillful at choral and instrumental music composition and arranging.
- Broad knowledge of sacred worship music from classical to contemporary.
- Ability to select music that enhances worship and incorporates a variety of music genres.
- Ability to teach people with varying degrees of musical knowledge.
- Skillful playing of piano.
- Ability to vocally lead the congregation.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Christ United offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Candidates selected for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples, such as:
- Copies of performances by choral ensembles.
- Copies of choral compositions/arrangements.
- Digital copies or links to professional journals, especially items published in church music/worship publications.
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter to Director of Operations Kim Hill at
Contact Phone: 214-533-1136