Central UMC: Director of Youth Ministry
Date Posted: 9/6/2023
Central UMC, Meridian, MS
Central United Methodist Church of Meridian, Miss., is searching for their next Director of Youth Ministries who will nurture and develop the youth of Central to become passionate responders to God’s call. Central has recently decided to remain in The United Methodist denomination.
An ideal candidate for this position:
Must be a committed follower of Jesus who embraces Christian discipline and The United Methodist doctrine and theology.
Have a bachelor’s degree in a related field or a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry.
Must possess effective written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills and computer skills.
Have an ability and willingness to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals and teams of volunteers.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, Christian education, and outreach.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with the Director of Christian Education.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and effectively as possible using all available resources
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council or equivalent body in a semi-annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy (Safe Sanctuary) is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills
Connecting with the Church and Community:
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Be available to youth in a variety of ways, both in church and in various other settings
- Work in partnership with the Youth Committee and ministry staff to effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic youth ministry outreach plan
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries
- Participate in the whole life of the Central community, its ministries and its staff, and to work in concert with the gifts and talents of the other staff members with a mindset toward collegiality and teamwork.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Jeremy Shelley at
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: 601-693-1521