Asbury UMC: Family Life Coordinator
Date Posted: 9/30/2020
Asbury UMC, Albuquerque, NM
Accountable To: Senior Pastor and the Pastor-Staff Parish Relations Committee (PSPRC)
Classification: Non-Exempt salaried ($33,000 plus benefits)
Hours: 40 hours/week (Full-time), requires working Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon to coordinate activities.
- To help nurture children, youth, and families in the Christian faith
- The Family Life Coordinator will do all possible to attract young families into the church’s spiritual life and activities.
- Emphasis on Children’s and Youth ministries
- Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a liberal arts program or an Associate Degree in a field relating to children, youth, or family health/enrichment.
- Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- At least 1 year of experience in church employment or 2 years of church volunteer experience is required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
- Must complete the Safe Sanctuaries Training and successfully pass the related test
- Must have a committed relationship with Jesus Christ and passion for sharing that faith with others.
- Must have a willingness to be educated, and trained, in Methodist theology.
- Possess a deep love for children and youth and a strong commitment to building positive relationships with our families and community
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Organize and maintain current children’s and youth events (Church Camp, Youth Group, Fundraising, Youth Mission Trips, Vacation Bible School, “Trunk or Treat,” “Back to School Bash,” School Supply Drive, Children’s Church, Advent Day, Pretzel Day, etc.)
- Plan and organize Children’s and Youth Sunday School classes.
- Until a volunteer is found, the Family Life Coordinator will lead a Bible Study for Youth each Sunday morning, or at such time as will encourage attendance and that best meets the schedule of youth.
- Propose, develop and start new children’s and youth events, activities and ministries.
- Be aware of, and facilitate, the goals and desired activities of the children and youth themselves.
- Support and cultivate a Christ-centric environment that promotes positive family inclusion.
- Develop and implement intergenerational Sunday School classes. Coordinate the teaching topics across Children’s church, youth groups and Sunday services to be the same (when possible).
- Incorporate the parents in the children, youth and family plans and communicate regularly the expectations and inputs relating to church activities.
- Inspire and actively encourage new prospective members, especially young families, to attend activities at Asbury UMC.
- Recruit others to assist with children, youth and family life activities
- Encourage youth, and assist them, in becoming members of Asbury UMC
- Work with Asbury’s SHINE Coordinator and volunteers, as well as with school staff, to assist our involvement in the program.
- Work with the MDO director and MDO families to coordinate, recruit, and build relationships between them and Asbury UMC.
- Remain proficient with web and social media networks and regularly communicate through them.
- Be savvy to the habits of present cultural times.
- Work with the Office Manager to obtain Sunday School supplies.
- Will have a yearly job performance review with Senior Pastor and PSPRC
- Responsible for maintaining and updating their professional qualifications.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resumes should be sent to Rev. Joe Whitley at
Contact Phone: 505-299-0643