Aldersgate UMC: Minister of Discipleship
Date Posted: 3/6/2019
Aldersgate UMC, Carrollton, TX
Aldersgate UMC is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial team player to serve as Minister of Discipleship. We are looking for an energetic person who is ready be part of a hard working team of staff and laity focused on fulfilling the mission of the church: “Aldersgate UMC exists to make and grow new disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
This role is ideal for someone who has some youth ministry experience, who is already in seminary or about to start seminary, and wants to grow and develop as a minister. Ideal candidates enjoy thinking outside the box, taking risks and connecting people to Jesus, growing people in Jesus, and helping persons discover their gifts for ministry.
Aldersgate United Methodist Church is a mission minded church in Carrollton. We are in a season of re-visioning and clarifying our unique gifts and call as a church. This will be an exciting and challenge season for our church with great opportunities for growth and development as a leader.
Salary is competitive and set upon individual’s availability and experience level. The position is available starting July 1.
- Must be called by God into ministry in the local church. (Tell your story)
- Must have a servant’s heart and a desire to live for Christ in every facet of life.
- Must have a Wesleyan theology and covenant to teach Wesley’s way of salvation.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work with other staff members and ministry partners to grow and develop ministries with youth and adults.
- Must be gifted in leadership and relational ministry, be able to work alongside church members and staff, as well as have a desire to be active in the community around us.
- Develop and maintain community through personal relationship with the students in the Student ministry, relationships between youth and adult investors, and relationships among other youth.
- Empower, organizes, and support Sunday Morning Discipleship program for 6th grade though adults
- Plan and organize mid-week discipleship in Student Ministry
- Plan and organize Sunday night Youth Ministry
- Coordinate Sunday evening snack supper volunteers and money collections
- Plans and organize annual youth mission fundraiser with the approval of the Finance Committee
- Plan, Organize, and Lead Summer Mission Trip with existing mission partnerships
- Advertises all events of the youth ministry to the students, parents, and community in an effective and timely manner
- Manage Budgets and oversees the expenditures for all of aspects of the Student Ministry (Mission trip, retreats, confirmation and discipleship) each year.
- Recruits and trains ministry partners for the Student Ministry (Sunday Morning, Confirmation and Sunday Nights)
- Lead and Empower the Youth Council in planning and implementation of all aspects of the Student Ministry
- Coordinates Student ministry events with the Minister of Children
- Oversee and support mid-week discipleship opportunities (Discipleship pathway) for adult
- Participates in staff meeting each week as able
- Maintain a Safe Gatherings
- Participate in Worship Weekly (welcome, announcements, liturgy), and preaching periodically (up to 8 to 10 times a year if desired)
- Participate in discipleship pathway with Senior Pastor. Lead membership classes (Spiritual Gifts, Methodist 101, Sacraments, First Time Guest follow up and connectional ministry).
- Participate in Worship planning as able
- Recruit, Empower and Activate ministry partners for worship (Lay Readers, Communion Servers and Hospitality Team)
How to Apply
Prepare a cover letter that answers these four questions:
(1) Why are you interested in this position?
(2) What kind of youth ministry experience do you have?
(3) What kind of preaching / teaching experience do you have?
(4) And what about you makes you stand out from other candidates for this position?
Mail (Aldersgate UMC, c/o Rev. Rodney Whitfield, 3926 Old Denton Rd., Carrollton, TX 75007) or email the cover letter and resume to Rev. Rodney Whitfield at
Contact Phone: 972-492-9393